Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Risk of rust under trim?

Beefbeefbeef

Country Flag
uk
Recently had to replace the fuel filler pipe on the wife's Shogun Pinin which had rusted through due to (what turns out to be) a build up of mud stuck behind the rear wheel arch trim.

Got me thinking - are there any similarly vulnerable areas on the 120?

On a related matter, what's the view on pressure washers for that kind of cleaning? Good or bad?

2nd cross member from the rear, where it joins the chassis legs, and along the top edge. Control arm brackets on the back axle. Back of the rear lights in the bumper.

I jet wash mine every weekend in the winter if I get time, but I'm in the mud every day. Only wash where you can get the surface clean, otherwise you just saturate the mud.

My experience of the Shogun Pinin is that it's made of milk-bottle tops and makes a Triumph Herald look robust. Have your back lights rusted out yet?

2nd cross member from the rear, where it joins the chassis legs, and along the top edge. Control arm brackets on the back axle. Back of the rear lights in the bumper.

I jet wash mine every weekend in the winter if I get time, but I'm in the mud every day. Only wash where you can get the surface clean, otherwise you just saturate the mud.

My experience of the Shogun Pinin is that it's made of milk-bottle tops and makes a Triumph Herald look robust. Have your back lights rusted out yet?

The Pinin is 12 years old now and still going strong so has turned out to be a good vehicle for the purpose but it doesn't go off road much.

I do take my 120 off road probably once a week in winter and there's certain areas that could only be cleaned with a jet washer. Might get one for christmas!

The brake lines run down the inner edge of the n/s sill and so aren't too prone to corrosion. The fuel filler connection on mine was well corroded though so I suspect it may be suspect on older LCs. The brake lines are hidden in part by the fuel tank and the tank protector tray and seem to survive. My problem was the lines were corroded by the twat that originally owned the LC and who reversed it regularly (I presume) down a slipway and into the sea and didn't ever clean it. This caused localised corrosion and I replaced the brake lines to a joint near the front passenger seat.

I viewed one recently that had rust on the underside of the bonnet & also on the bulkhead... Is this something we should look out for or need to worry about? (It was a 03 with 130k on the clock, FSH)

Jay

Under bonnet rust, where the inter-cooler feed opens out. And I've noticed, besides the chassis bits noted, the rear most parts of the rear door sills tend to collect water and crap and have started to show rust - will need to get that sorted ASAP.

Exhaust hanger has got rust on it. Front leading edge of bonnet gets chipped and rusts. Strange one - where the 3rd row windows are - the trailing edges seem to get chips and then rust too.

Crash impact absorbers also rust - basically anywhere salt gets when in the water and can sit - so the whole of the undercarriage. I've started inserting bolts into all the unused captive nuts to try keep the gunk out...

Insidious baste ward that stuff.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back