Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

roof bars for a roof tent

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
I have a couple Thule roof-bars (gutter feet) for LC

are these enough for fitting a roof-tent?

That's what I used until my rack arrived. Made it a bit too high, but they were van bars I think.

Chris

Mine is mounted that way. edit: Thule 951 feet used
DSCF0646.JPG

DSCF0645.JPG

Kevin, looking at those pics (very nice by the way) it doesn't look like your cover is slotted into the base board. Is that deliberate? I find it keeps the weather out better. You can leave it in place on an 80 as it can sit on top of the tailgate, but I guess on a 90 it would hang in your way.

I have put polythene bags in the front face before putting the cover over as I find that the rain does get driven in there a bit sometimes. But the back end is fine with the beading slotted into the aluminium channel.

Chris

Hi Chris - Pretty sure it is slotted in. Might not be too clear in the pics :think: TBH I havent had a chance to use it yet or even open it up & have a proper look :( If it is not slotted in then its not deliberate but how it came from the people at Terrain. You are right it might be a pain on a 90. Might use some bungees to keep it out the way or something.

I must remember to check if there is some water ingress ... Although not driven it much lately :thumbdown:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Couple of tips for you to explore then. go to B&Q and have a look on the rope, shackles and tubing section. You'll find some mini bungees. I mean tiny! Get 4 of those and shorten then by about half. When you come to put the tent away, use one per side to hold the bottom skirt up. Use the holes that the window props go through. Then at the front do the same thing but hook the upper end onto the aluminium channel. This stops the zip catching and jamming. It really works like a charm.

Also when you come to op the tent, keep a real eye on the entrance half where the side of the tent slides in the channel (the same one that the cover slides in). When you open and close the tent, the side beading have to slide back and forth. You can - I stress can, but not always, have the beading slip out of the end of the runner. There a plastic guide. If it comes out, you will really struggle to push the beading back in. I drilled the rivets out and slid the bead back in and then riveted it back together. Not done it since, but I wondered why the tent never sat properly. It was this.

If you plan to park up on a hard surface, I'd have a small ratchet strap or a cam lok strap to go around the steps and through your tow bar. This stops the ladder being kicked away. On mud, the ladder digs in.

That's all I can think of for now.

Oh, I don't use the extra shower tent bit as it really doesn't fit the back of the truck very well. Gary has the HM original; version but comes off the side of the truck. It works OK then.

Chris

Mine was also mounted on 2 Thule bars until the roof rack arrived

And I won't be carting the bottom section of the tent to the Pyrenees with me - it went to France last year and didn't get used. I'll probably need it now I've said that :)

think i this year I will go to pyrenees with a ground tent, and get terrain awning and side panels system for cooking and drinking wine and beer in!
see how we get one - and reconsider a roof tent next year

If you're driving on easy surfaces Thule would be fine but for desert corrugation etc, rhino bars all the way - 3 rather than 2

Back