Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roof tent choice

froggy Steve

Supporter
Country Flag
europe
Ok, I have a James Baroud that's many years old now, still good but having to replace mesh in the windows etc.
So, for next year, we have been looking at options. A Bundutec electric one or the iKamper x2. The Bundutec has a pokey little room that would house the porta loo, that's about it. The iKamper has the option of a good size annex.
Has anyone got either of the above, what are your thoughts.
We have a Hannibal awning with room already, but like the idea of a room with the ladder within.
Thanks in advance

We've got the iKamper soft top. So far been impressed with it. There were a few issues with the first one but iKamper sent us a new one when we complained (!!) - yep really. The awning is massive and really easy to put up. Build quality (now) is very good, loads of space inside - we sleep a family of 4 in their. Also very light weight. Arguably they come with a premium price tag but for me they are very much worth it. Not sure where in the country you are but if your near Derbyshire then you are more than welcome to come and have a look.

We've got the iKamper soft top. So far been impressed with it. There were a few issues with the first one but iKamper sent us a new one when we complained (!!) - yep really. The awning is massive and really easy to put up. Build quality (now) is very good, loads of space inside - we sleep a family of 4 in their. Also very light weight. Arguably they come with a premium price tag but for me they are very much worth it. Not sure where in the country you are but if your near Derbyshire then you are more than welcome to come and have a look.
Thanks! I'm in France but I'm glad you like the awning room. With our hannibal awning and room we have to venture outside to go to bed. Normally no problem, but if its raining, a right PITA!
We have our 2 dogs to accommodate, as well as a small table and a couple of chairs, so the awning room sounds ideal

Steve, I have the i-Kamper 2.0, It really is quite a thing. The difference in room is amazing, with a double sleeping bag in place there is room for everything else you need. The awning is massive and pretty easy to put up. I don't think the quality of construction is quite to Maggi standards but its pretty good.
I think there will be some copies of this idea coming out anytime soon. I'd check out the you tube vids of the tent and annex.
IMG_1806.JPG

IMG_1807.JPG
IMG_1807.JPG

This was the first time ( and only) its been assembled, I thought it was an advantage having the ladder inside too. I guess it would look better if it wasn't just out of the bag.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Steve, I have the i-Kamper 2.0, It really is quite a thing. The difference in room is amazing, with a double sleeping bag in place there is room for everything else you need. The awning is massive and pretty easy to put up. I don't think the quality of construction is quite to Maggi standards but its pretty good.
I think there will be some copies of this idea coming out anytime soon. I'd check out the you tube vids of the tent and annex.View attachment 167199

View attachment 167200View attachment 167200

This was the first time ( and only) its been assembled, I thought it was an advantage having the ladder inside too. I guess it would look better if it wasn't just out of the bag.
Hi Andrew. Thanks! Just the response I wanted. I have sort of made up my mind, but needed confirmation I was heading in the right direction! Looks like a perfect set up for us.
I will check out the other name when I have finished work for the day. Cheers!

Andy, with the ikamper 2.0? Can you leave you sleeping bag/quilt and a couple of pillows in when its folded up?
Some say yes, others no.....be a PITA if not. Also, I have a Patiot roof rack with no bars across, just wide slats running front to back. Would mounting by drilling through tent deck and slats work like my JB?

Hi Steve, My roof rack was the same, I came up with this temporary/ permanent solution with 2 pieces of 25mm square bar.

IMG_2128.JPG

Not too pretty but effective.
Yes to the q about the storage of bedding. We leave the bedding in, Sleeping bed on the base, a double sleeping bag, a Duvet and 2 pillows. All closes up fine.

Evening all. I’m another one thinking about an icamper 2.0 - for the top of a 120. Used to have a wind up maggiolina some years back on the top of an old merc estate- which was v good but remember it as a bit narrow for the two of us. Now have a king size mattress at home. Apart from sleeping wondering how good the camper is for just lounging around in when it’s wet inc reading. Does the inward slope of the hard shell make sitting up uncomfortable- the slope is the opposite angle to the way my back normally goes when slounging in a chair! Any insights gratefully received as an expensive bit of kit to get wrong - even if bought second hand! Thanks.

I sat in one at the overland show when we were looking at iKampers (we went for the Xcover in the end). They are more than capable of being sat up in, and you can lean your back against the poles in the middle if you wish, although realistically you'll prob be sitting up or lying down. With the awning on they are fantastic for sitting out the rain. I have done it with 2 young kids many times and there is more than enough space. Without kids you could set up your armchairs and relax in style.

For the cost of them tho i'd definitely go and see one before buying. If you are near Devon i'd happily show you my Xcover, although it is quite different from the hardshell

Nick, thats v helpful. I’d never heard of the Xcover, but having now googled it I’m impressed. It takes a bit longer to put up /take down but in its favour is that it won’t overhang the sides of the 120 as a sky camp 2 will. On the other hand on a journey we would want to put it up after lunch for a siesta and then down again so speed an important consideration. I would take up your offer as home in Somerset not a million miles from you but Lockdown! I’m in 2 minds as I can buy a really good used Skycamp 2 for a reasonably price. So what swung it for you in favour of the Xcamp apart from price?

Sorry @Adrianlle I started typing a response 3 times over the weekend before being interrupted by the wife! We can put the roof tent up in less than 5 minutes - probably longer than a Skycamp but i've have no problem putting it up and down for an hours siesta. We went for the X-cover because the shape of it when open suited our needs better (we are a family of 4 sleeping in it). I also preferred having less weight up on the roof and the Xcover is a lot lighter, but to be honest it was a close call and we could have gone with either.

Let me know if you want to pop over once lockdown is over.

Thanks Nick. It’s a difficult one because I can prob get a pristine used skycamp 2 for about the same cost as an x cover. One more question. I se from the thread that Andylomasguy says you can leave the bedding in the skycamp when closed. Is that also the case with the x camp ? Thanks

Yes you can, although its not like in my old Hannibal where there was loads of room to leave bedding. We can leave a double duvet, the boys small sleeping bags, and a few pillows in there but it takes a bit of standing on to close. One of my few criticism's would be that if they had allowed slightly more room to leave bedding it would have been useful.

Thanks Nick. It sounds then from Andy’s post on this thread that the Skycamp has a bit more Roy for the bedding- a real pain if you can’t keep it in the tent. Thanks all the help.

I like the ikamper i just don't understand why it needs to be so big , my cheap China version is half the size when closed and there is still plenty of room in it for acrobatics if i ever convince the mrs to invite a girlfriend camping for the weekend :shifty:

Daktent Khosi is a very similar but smaller version of the ikamper , I never seen one up close and personal and the company wanted me to drive to Holland or wherever to have it fitted which is kinda nuts .

Yeah they are big @Shayne . I think they are aimed at the family roof tent market. We'll be squeezing in 2 adults and 2 kids (assuming we ever get out of lockdown...) Certainly it would be more than the 2 of us need. But like everything I guess it comes down to personal choice. They do a Mini version for 2 people which look good.

Adrian, if you're considering an i-Kamper 2.0 I'd do some measuring before I committed. They don't look small on a 100 series and big on an 80 series. I think Trevor on here might have some pics of the i-Kamper 2.0 he had on his 120.

Back