Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roof Tents amd Awnings

This works for us- Maggiolina on Rhino racks, collapsible ladder, IronMan awning. Cheers from Oz.
20161008_113028.jpg

Hi
Just got back from a trip round Norway and Sweden.

The only thing I wished I had was a roof tent and awning. I like to add this before I go o my next adventure.

Abit late now, but...
You should have simply gotten in touch............
I`d have both a RTT & an awning for You Gary...

I recently fitted a 2.5m long awning to a LC100, which should have roughly the same roof as a 120
See picture of a trial fitted (!!) FrontRunner 2.5m
IMG_20160819_195754.jpg

The awning protrudes abit off the "roof lenght" as such. But not to the utter extent that it looks completely way off. as in the picture it could preferrably have been moved abit more forward.
If You are travelling with more than 2 people, You`d appreciate the "extra space" the 2.5 gives You.
The FrontRunner options is available with sides.

We will be fitting a AluCab 270 Shadow awn for the next season to one of our own vehicles. Thats for certain!
The AluCab can in theory be mounted to either a rack, the gutter or a RTT. We`ll do the RTT Option.

& while I was given a 2.1m Fiamma that I am likely to fit to another project thats in the making. I used the awning this summer & it is fine for up to 2 people travelling. Pics can follow..

As much as I like JB tents, there is no genuine good way to mount much into them without fauling the makers warranty +++ & yes, thats a statement I can back up :)

I'd add a final note here about racks and bars. Bars are cheaper and lighter, however if you have been voted 'customer of the year' at your local pie shop, you might want to think about how you support the bottom of the shell. You can spend quite a bit of time on your knees in there moving around and if you're of a heavier disposition, there a chance you will crack the shell. Mine is mounted flat on a big rack for a good reason.

I`d like to agree with Chris on this.

Those utrathin bars that fi Thule supply aint up to the task described above IMHO.
There are far better crossbars available IF one does not want to opt for a full rack....
I have seen people mount the Front Runner rack upside-down in order not to have an edge for the RTT to rest on...
Just sayìng

Errm sorry think I may have beaten you to second place there Dave.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
20150611_120154.jpg
Ive had thule bars on for ten years with no probs. They are not a bad cheap, quick fix option.

Last edited:
Yes but that's not a plastic tub like a pop up, CG. I have an Ezi and used to have a Terrain. They have actual boards or solid panels in them. Think of a pop top as a roof box with a duvet in it. They're not that thick.

Yes but that's not a plastic tub like a pop up, CG. I have an Ezi and used to have a Terrain. They have actual boards or solid panels in them. Think of a pop top as a roof box with a duvet in it. They're not that thick.
Looking at the length of those pop tops id use at least another bar in the middle.

The problem with three bars with identical feet is that they are not level on top of an 80.

There's not a massive height different, nothing a spacer or a trim can't easily fix.

Even the Toyota OE bars?

The three of them seem to line up quite nicely on a 100. All three are different heights and different top side slopes to compensate for roof shape.

hi

thanks for the lots of useful feedback.

Can anyone recommend a rack to got a 120.

thanks

G.

Patriot are good. I think Gary had a Big Country on his? I have a African Outback one somewhere and I can't see why that brand wouldn't fit. The advantage of those, oh and Hanibal too, are that they are flat. If you get a basket type, it makes it difficult to mount the tent.

There not cheap, a lot of money just to sit a roof tent onto. I may give a 3rd roof bar a chance.

Back