Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roughtrax Steering Rack & Lower Ball Joints

fridayman

Garage
Before we left the UK I swapped my steering rack with a Roughtrax recon unit. The first recon unit would turn right with no effort at all but was really heavy to the left. No amount of wheel alignment could fix it. Eventually they offered to recon my original rack for me. This was much better but still not quite right. I had to live with it because the truck was being shipped shortly after.
They also did not replace the inner tie rods which are part of the advertised service, saying that the original Toyota items were better than what they would fit, so they hadn't bothered. Fair enough, but they still charged me full price...
Now after less than 10k, both new lower ball joints from Roughtrax that went on with the recon rack are failing. I'm not impressed at all.

I think the trouble is all our trucks are (from the retailers point of view) getting too old to be worthy of spending a great deal of money on . Hence they don't care if you don't come back . Its a stupid approach considering an LC owner is unlikely to replace it when the time comes with anything other than a newer LC .

To send someone of to Oz with a botch job steering rack is nothing short of disgraceful though !

Before we left the UK I swapped my steering rack with a Roughtrax recon unit. The first recon unit would turn right with no effort at all but was really heavy to the left. No amount of wheel alignment could fix it. Eventually they offered to recon my original rack for me. This was much better but still not quite right. I had to live with it because the truck was being shipped shortly after.
They also did not replace the inner tie rods which are part of the advertised service, saying that the original Toyota items were better than what they would fit, so they hadn't bothered. Fair enough, but they still charged me full price...
Now after less than 10k, both new lower ball joints from Roughtrax that went on with the recon rack are failing. I'm not impressed at all.

I take it their response to you has been less than impressive. At least airing it on here if you've had no satisfaction will have an effect - even if it is only to let other members become more informed as to the quality of after sales service which allows them to make their own mind up.

They need to remember that ANY business is ONLY as good as the last f**k up they've fixed. This is what then gets put out there for very public consumption nowadays - the curse / blessing of the internet means anyone can see it.

Hope they wake up to this as a reality. They've only got to look at the Australian blogs to see what can happen very quickly...

Last edited:
Back