Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Royal Navy Caribbean Patrol about to start on CH5....

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
.....Just finished watching Emergency Bikers & now this :D Great nights viewing IMHO :D

Thats Tommo's new job....... Montserrat or Isle of Wight, they are just the same :cool:

Tommo&Claire said:
Didn't watch it. Any good?
Least you can watch work and find it interesting. If my job was on TV I'd have to watch people sitting in an office - gripping :thumbdown:

Most of us in the service don't watch it as we find it infuriating! I know it's very difficult as film producers to create something that is truly representative of the truth but it's still difficult to watch your life mis-represented!!

But like i say, i didn't watch so it could have been very good!

I find that when i watch James Bond films :violence-pistoldouble:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep, same here when I watch Adult Films :lol: :lol: :lol: :whistle:

Well I enjoyed it :thumbup: Even though it seems like alot of asset for finding coconuts :D ;)

Tommo

It's our old ship dude, the Mighty Manch :thumbup:

Seems as though there are only about five crew though and one of them is a killick who hasn't got a clue how to take charge :naughty:

It's always the same with these programmes, pick a few likely bods and forget the rest. Not one single stokers badge during the show :snooty:

On arriving in work this morning I think it's fair to say that the Navy is generally unimpressed by this programme! I shan't repeat some of the specific phrases uttered.

Always the case Les, Type 42 Destroyer, Ship's Company 240 and they only film 5 with any sort of enthusiasm. Whilst it's understandable why they do, or else it'd be a very long programme, the annoying thing is that they don't even pick the 5 that would present the most realistic picture to viewers.

My mate is on the Might Manch now and was there for that patrol, he said it was clear that the media involved had already decided on what sort of documentary they were going to film before they even arrived and were not willing to listen, believing themselves to be defence experts because they did a course once or have filmed the forces before.

The other massive problem is that the Media Relations branch of the RN is run by the Royal Naval Reserve, which for the most part have just as little a clue as to what is going on as the media.

I don't usually rise to this sort of thing but when one reads such blatant misinformation one has to say something. FYI the Navy love the series from the toppest top brass down - as do the ship's company I can assure you of that. Of course you are always bound to get drips from some - especially, possibly, those that don't get in front of the camera for whatever reason. Dripping is, after all, a Navy sport second only to Uckers and flight deck horse racing.

Also, the viewers seem to share the same positive sentiment to the first programme and if you follow some of the threads on Five as well as other TV message boards you will see how proud people are of HMS Manchester as portrayed in the series and all those who sailed on her. If you watch carefully you will see, I think, that this is a pretty astutely observed celebration of the Royal Navy generally and the Manchester specifically.

Sometimes, my friend, those closest to an organisation are the most blind to the realities that surround it.

Tiglion

Tiglion,

Firstly, welcome to our forum and thank you for your very assured first post.

I certainly feel privileged to have as a member of our forum an individual who can clearly articulate the opinions of everyone from Admiral Stanhope downwards. ;)

Whilst I have no desire to engage in any sort of pi$$ing contest here, there are a few points I would like to offer.

Firstly, this is an open forum and anything that I post here is entirely my own opinion and not to be confused with RN policy thus no ‘misinformation’, as you claim, exists. That I and those with whom I have discussed it thought that this production missed the mark by a mile (again) is simply a statement of fact, because we did.

In my own opinion, the way the RN is portrayed by the media IS generally poor and a massive misrepresentation to the general public of what life in the RN is like - and always has been. The difference here, is that I am fully aware that this is just my own opinion and do not claim to speak for the ‘toppest top’ brass, the Ship’s Company of the Manchester and what appears to be the entire Royal Navy and general public.

In the last two weeks alone I have sat in briefings with many very senior officers (including media update briefs) as well as having been out for beers with friends who currently serve in the Manchester as well as many other ships and the vast majority share my views on this subject.

As for the suggestion that perhaps only those who are camera shy hold this sort of opinion, if you dig out the last series of Warship, the one based on Lusty, i think you’ll find i appear quite frequently in there as i was serving as Navigator2 at the time.

In the meantime, if you wish to discuss my opinions further then please PM me and i’ll be more than happy to send you my number so we can chat offline.

If not you may contact me

c/o Lt Cdr D Breen RN
Command and Executive Training Element
HMS Collingwood

or if you can hang on till June then you can contact me directly as:

Lt J Thompson RN
Executive Officer
HMS Tyne

Now, would you like to tell us about your LandCruiser?

Good for you Tommo, I too have had experience of the 'luvvys' in the media, if you remember the Channel 4 production of The House, the inside story of the Royal Opera House the story they told was far from the truth.

You miss my point entirely sir. We have a fine Navy manned by a fine body of men and women but the general public have been and continue to be sea blind about what it is the Senior Service actually does - beyond continual exercising and pissing up on deployment. The popular view of the Navy is fed of course by TV documentaries such as Sailor and HMS Brilliant way back in the 70's and the 90's (both of which met with knee jerk criticism at the time from the Navy itself although both exposed with good effect some pretty serious fault lines - such as alcohol abuse and the difficulty women were having serving at sea) and more recently Warship (not the best advert for the Royal Navy to be sure) and now this one. The difference with RNCP is, it seems to me, that it portrays a Navy doing a real tangible job. OK it is not fighting on the front line in Afghanistan (like that other famous branch of the Navy - the Royal Marines) but it is fighting a front line battle against drug smugglers, and also providing assistance to hurricane victims. The ship's company is contending with the pressures of living in an old ship designed to operate in northern latitudes thirty years ago and, as ever, are adapting to overcome at every stage. The response from the public so far has been, again it seems to me, overwhelmingly positive and that has to be good for the profile of the Service in these difficult days of budgetry cuts. If I may say I think that members of the Service need to be a little more canny in their analysis of what is good PR and bad PR. I have seen time and time again that the worst people to make this judgement are the very people that are closest to the beating pulse of the organisation. The very worst of all are those whose jobs it is to oversee naval PR. Hopeless.

HMS Manchester seems to be a happy ship and an effective ship doing a difficult job in demanding circumstances. If the series provokes in the lay public a greater understanding of just what makes Jack tick and that he/she is (generically) a pretty remarkable individual - courtesy training, heritage and immersion in a very special culture.

Those who love the Royal Navy, as clearly both you and I do sir, need to take heed of the public perception of the Service because they are the voters and they are the ones that can make a difference in the long term. As I understand it questions are already being raised in high places about APT(N) and the proposal to hand it over to the RFA as a direct result of this new series. If the films to follow show further major drug busts and particularly hurricane relief efforts I think the debate will get very interesting. That can be the power of TV and we all forget that at our peril. Of course there is good TV and bad TV (as I say I think Warship was/is particularly bad navy TV as it fed/feeds too many pre conceptions and was never about operational deployments. I know a number of senior officers who have absolutely refused to have Warship cameras anywhere near their ships). My opinion, and it is just my opinion (though I seem to share it with around 2 million viewers a programme and a hefty number of serving naval ratings and officers) that this is just the sort of programming we need. The army and the RAF would kill for this sort of exposure believe me.

Well this is all getting very interesting and is totally up to peoples own opinion as this is an open forum, but as as said previously, do you actually have a Land Cruiser or even an interest in anything to do with them? Everyone is welcome.
While all opinions are also welcome, it is a little off putting that someone comes in here, in what is a totally non LC area of the forum, saying various things without even introducing themselves.
You seem to have clear links to the Navy or Military so if you said what you did in a pub (lets say in Pompey) by barging in to a conversation i think the reaction would be harsh at best.
So, with respect, go to the intro thread, tell us who you are and what you are all about and maybe your thinking will be better understood as right now i am forming the opinion that you are just interfering.

Paul,

An open forum is a forum, I had assumed, in which one could voice an opinion along the lines of "freedom of speech" - a freedom I fight for in a professional capacity. Clearly, though, it is OK for one person to voice an opinion that swerves pretty wide of the mark but not for another to counter it - at least not someone who is part of the gang. There is a big difference between "barging into a conversation in a pub" and posing an opinion into what is meant to be a public forum. If this forum is all about Land Cruisers then I wonder why you don't just talk about Land Cruisers.

Farewell. I'm off to a more friendly bar where open debate is welcomed and enjoyed. I won't be returning. I think I have made my point nonetheless.

Tiglion said:
Paul,An open forum is a forum, I had assumed, in which one could voice an opinion along the lines of "freedom of speech" - a freedom I fight for in a professional capacity. Clearly, though, it is OK for one person to voice an opinion that swerves pretty wide of the mark but not for another to counter it - at least not someone who is part of the gang. There is a big difference between "barging into a conversation in a pub" and posing an opinion into what is meant to be a public forum. If this forum is all about Land Cruisers then I wonder why you don't just talk about Land Cruisers. Farewell. I'm off to a more friendly bar where open debate is welcomed and enjoyed. I won't be returning. I think I have made my point nonetheless.
And farewell to you, I don't think you will be missed, BTW this forum is mainly for Landcruiser related subjects and if you took the trouble to explore the rest of the site you will see, also for anything else that might be of interest, such as maintainence and repair tips, eBay bargains, jokes etc, even TV shows.
I think the biggest point you have made is that you are a right PITA, you come on here without any introduction as to who you are and whether or not you have a Landcruiser (and as you have carefully avoided confirming that I would suspect you don't) and your first post is critical, now while constructive criticism is welcome I don't think yours was and a penny to a pinch of salt you will post again!
A thought has just occured to me, I bet you own a Land Rover :lol:

Tiglion said:
Paul,

An open forum is a forum, I had assumed, in which one could voice an opinion along the lines of "freedom of speech" - a freedom I fight for in a professional capacity. Clearly, though, it is OK for one person to voice an opinion that swerves pretty wide of the mark but not for another to counter it - at least not someone who is part of the gang. There is a big difference between "barging into a conversation in a pub" and posing an opinion into what is meant to be a public forum. If this forum is all about Land Cruisers then I wonder why you don't just talk about Land Cruisers.

Farewell. I'm off to a more friendly bar where open debate is welcomed and enjoyed. I won't be returning. I think I have made my point nonetheless.

Are you Chris Terrill of Uppercut Films?

"The series is the culmination of a 5 month long embed by award winning producer Chris Terrill of Uppercut Films"

Name: C TERRILL
Job title: DIR UPPERCUT FILMS
Email: t********@hotmail.com

You should declare you are biased, sir :mrgreen:

PS: I am not taking any sides, I didn't even watch the series ;)

I'm impressed how many production companies seem to be loitering on our forum. We are an open forum and that is the strength of it despite the diverse opinions among members - all are welcome to provide them. Tiglion posts look so close to a media or PR company it is funny. Perhaps he should go and make a film about 4wding in the Peak District :D

Back