Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rubber hose mistake

frank rabbets

Guru
I craftily inserted a long rubber hose into the filler neck to syphon the petrol out but came up against an obstruction but persisted but corkscrewing it round and then it went in another foot or so. Then I syphoned the petrol out. Job done no. I could not pull the hose out and had visions of either taking out the fuel tank or cutting the hose off as low as possible to get the station nozzle in. Anyway I eventually corkscrewed it out.

Interestingly after that I undid the tank plug and only 3 Litres came out. Also the plug was loose but not leaking so I suggest everyone check theirs. There is a shoulder on the plug with a rubber washer to seal. I think it should be tightened until there is metal to metal contact with the rubber fully compressed.

The slightly polluted petrol is for my and my neighbours lawnmowers. And the only diesel strimmers in the country.

Frank

I think that's the anti spill butterfly valve Frank.

Chris

I think it's the former Adrian. It's a little flap that only opens one way so that if you turn over, it stops the fuel pouring out. You cna sipon past it with a small hose. Not easily I admit, but pretty sure it anti spill.

Chris

frank rabbets said:
The slightly polluted petrol is for my and my neighbours lawnmowers. And the only diesel strimmers in the country.
That's a lot of lawn mowing!

thanks chris

reply was a bit tongue in cheek - i knew a fella who years and years and years ago had a small fuel pump hooked up to a hose - he'd pull up next to folk in traffic in the days before locking fuel caps and pump fuel from theres into his. very enterprising. :shock:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
adrianr said:
thanks chris

reply was a bit tongue in cheek - i knew a fella who years and years and years ago had a small fuel pump hooked up to a hose - he'd pull up next to folk in traffic in the days before locking fuel caps and pump fuel from theres into his. very enterprising. :shock:
How on Earth did he manage that without them twigging?

I can remember back to my early day too where siphoning fuel was dead easy. Hose in tank, suck, spit (oh hang on, not sure I like where this is going) Sucking ho's? Hmm, dodgy. Think I'll stop digging

Chris

In 1973 I bought a brand new diesel LWB Land Rover. It had a locking fuel cap which consisted of a hasp riveted onto the body and a clasp formed in the metal cap. Then you put a padlock through. The art was not to loose the key.

Frank

Nice, bet it could be tricky to keep the key mechanism free from crud as well.

Back