Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

safari intercooler

Langy

Hi all, well nearly another tax year ended and awaiting another healthy tax rebate, the other half has given me the green light this year to spend it all on our 80 and so comes the question, what sort of power gains are to be had after intercooler is fitted and fuel delivery/turbo boost tweaked ? ,the rest is getting spent on a rather nice explorer evolution roof tent by James Baraud.,Mark.

I've only read in the realms of 20 odd percent. You could go to Alisport though and save a bundle?

Safari talk of 28% more bhp and 25% more torque on their website. I've seen an 80 with a Safari IC and it's a really neat, professional instal, almost OE looking but it's pricey. I was quoted $2238 for the kit and $895 Aus in November '09 by a supplier in Oz. Couldn't find anyone who stocked them over here.

Here's a road test of a 24v model by an offroad magazine, the 12v will probably be similar.

http://www.safarisnorkel.com/intercooler/overlander_1hd-ft/rev1n.html

Interesting, Does anyone know if the Safari pipe to manifold is available separately to convert a 12V kit to a 24V kit?? I have a 12V kit ( and it's a work of art) but really want it on my 24V GS.

Andy

Interesting, Does anyone know if the Safari pipe to manifold is available separately to convert a 12V kit to a 24V kit?? I have a 12V kit ( and it's a work of art) but really want it on my 24V GS.

Andy
No it won't fit, not never ever no way, far too much work to make it fit and you'll spoil it, it won't fit you know :whistle: :icon-biggrin: :icon-wink:

So what you need to do is sell your Safari intercooler to me and then go and buy a proper one to fit yours :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No it won't fit, not never ever no way, far too much work to make it fit and you'll spoil it, it won't fit you know :whistle: :icon-biggrin: :icon-wink:

So what you need to do is sell your Safari intercooler to me and then go and buy a proper one to fit yours :thumbup:
:laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

Hi all, well nearly another tax year ended and awaiting another healthy tax rebate, the other half has given me the green light this year to spend it all on our 80 and so comes the question, what sort of power gains are to be had after intercooler is fitted and fuel delivery/turbo boost tweaked ? ,the rest is getting spent on a rather nice explorer evolution roof tent by James Baraud.,Mark.

You will be lucky to see a 5% gain in torque and BHP. Claims of 20% and more are pie in the sky. The reduction in temperature of the charged air is a bonus.

Roger

Yes will be minimal, running stock settings I doubt 5% even. However running 2bar & higher post turbo temps then it shouold do. You need a decent temp delta for it to become an effective fitment

You will be lucky to see a 5% gain in torque and BHP. Claims of 20% and more are pie in the sky. The reduction in temperature of the charged air is a bonus.

Roger

With no fuel boost alterations you'll probably get nothing. In fact you could even lose power as there'll be a slight lag in boost pressure build up across the IC. The whole point of fitting an IC is so you can increase fuelling and boost (which would normally take EGT's to dangerous levels) to gain more power and torque. Look at the on road performance figures for the 1HD-FT before and after conversion. You don't get improvements like that with a mere 5% power/torque increase. JMO

With no fuel boost alterations you'll probably get nothing. In fact you could even lose power as there'll be a slight lag in boost pressure build up across the IC. The whole point of fitting an IC is so you can increase fuelling and boost (which would normally take EGT's to dangerous levels) to gain more power and torque. Look at the on road performance figures for the 1HD-FT before and after conversion. You don't get improvements like that with a mere 5% power/torque increase. JMO

Any system that increases power at the expense of useability is bordering on pointless because if you are increasing EGT to dangerous levels you cannot use the extra power all the time.

Back in July 1990 Off Road and 4 Wheel Drive magazine tested a VX LC with the 4.2 turbo diesel. They timed a 0-60 mph sprint at 10.5 seconds. Nearly a decade later and now with an extra 30% power, a later version of the same motor takes 12.2 seconds to do 0-62 mph.

Something doesn't add up.

If the intercooler company had faith in their system, they would do a before and after power test on a dyno, preferably motor only on a test rig.

Claims, without a proper test procedure are spurious.

Also bare in mind that this motor had a 3" so called performance exhaust system fitted, which, according to Beaudesert Exhaust systems, is good for a power increase of 15-18% all on it's own.

When Toyota fitted an intercooler to the 1-KZTE engine, they did not claim an increase in torque or BHP, even though I would assume the fuelling had been modified to suit.

Back in 1939, the Messerschmitt ME 209 set a new air speed record of 469.22 mph. The DB 601 engine, normally rated at 1050 BHP was tuned to give 2,300 BHP for the two runs.

It had a life expectation of 30 minutes.

Fitting an intercooler will lower the charge temperature and improve the reliability of an engine by reducing the EGT. If you exploit that increase in charge density by boosting the turbo output and increasing fuelling, you may increase power but you will increase fuel consumption and lower reliability.

Roger

I might have a go at measuriung turbo outlet temps, I have boost controller on my 80 so will have a play some time soon.

Back in July 1990 Off Road and 4 Wheel Drive magazine tested a VX LC with the 4.2 turbo diesel. They timed a 0-60 mph sprint at 10.5 seconds. Nearly a decade later and now with an extra 30% power, a later version of the same motor takes 12.2 seconds to do 0-62 mph.

Roger
I am missing some thing here,,,,,,,

How does a 1990 80 series do zero to 60 mph in just 10,5 seconds?

I just don't get it.

Gra.

I am missing some thing here,,,,,,,

How does a 1990 80 series do zero to 60 mph in just 10,5 seconds?

I just don't get it.

Gra.
Probably lit the afterburners. :lol:

I've always been lead to believe that intercoolers made the engine run hotter too?

Oi, Laugton-layabout - you checked your messages? :lol:

C

Any system that increases power at the expense of useability is bordering on pointless because if you are increasing EGT to dangerous levels you cannot use the extra power all the time.

If the intercooler company had faith in their system, they would do a before and after power test on a dyno, preferably motor only on a test rig.

Claims, without a proper test procedure are spurious.

Also bare in mind that this motor had a 3" so called performance exhaust system fitted, which, according to Beaudesert Exhaust systems, is good for a power increase of 15-18% all on it's own.

When Toyota fitted an intercooler to the 1-KZTE engine, they did not claim an increase in torque or BHP, even though I would assume the fuelling had been modified to suit.

Back in 1939, the Messerschmitt ME 209 set a new air speed record of 469.22 mph. The DB 601 engine, normally rated at 1050 BHP was tuned to give 2,300 BHP for the two runs.

It had a life expectation of 30 minutes.

Fitting an intercooler will lower the charge temperature and improve the reliability of an engine by reducing the EGT. If you exploit that increase in charge density by boosting the turbo output and increasing fuelling, you may increase power but you will increase fuel consumption and lower reliability.

Roger

BEB's aside, I don't believe the reliability of the 1HD-T/FT in standard tune is in question so why would you want to fit an IC for any other reason than increasing the power output? By fitting one you are avoiding the increase in EGT's which more power (ie. increased fuelling) would normally bring so you can have the extra performance, run the same temps and keep the reliability/longevity of the standard OE setup. As I said in my first post, that's the whole point of fitting one. If you're increasing the fueling then the fuel consumption will obviously increase.
When the 1HD-FT evolved into the 1HD-FTE in the 100 series it came with more power AND an IC.
As for the LC performance figures I agree, something doesn't add up. There's no way an early 4.2TD in standard tune will out accelerate an intercooled 24 valve engined model. JMO

Last edited:
I have an actual 80 series Landcruiser fitted with a Safari Intercooler. It was fitted to the vehicle after a dyno run was performed to get base line data. After the installation a dyno run was done. Fuel adjustments were made until the power output was excessive and then it was dialled back to a safe level. If I had fitted an EGT we could have left it wound up a bit tighter. The other consideration was visible exhaust emissions. Actual rear wheel kw before installation and tuning was 79 and we left it set at 96 kw after several runs.
This was done at a mileage of about 150k and my truck has just ticked over 300k. Peak kw figures around 110 were achieved but not having the aforementioned EGT meant that we did not leave the fuel wound up that high.

BEB's were done at 125k as part of predelivery by the dealer.

Cheers

Hedley

Hi Hedley,
Do you remember the torque figures pre and post intercooler? And welcome to the forum :)

Thanks,
Grant

Back