Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Same oil for transfer case, manual transmission and diffs

baumberger

Country Flag
australia
heya everyone.
so ive been reading through my manual to see what oils i will need to change my transfer case, diffs and gearbox oil. so far it shows they are all pretty similar but slightly different, as the photo shows (sorry its side ways). i was thinking i could maybe get away with using GL-5 80w90 for everything except my rear diff which has an lsd so id be using something like LS90.
wondering what everyone else does, just seems like such a pain in the ass to be buying 4 different oils and then have a little bits over for each type.
cheers in advance.
1585724950066.png

also just realized im in the complete wrong section of the forum

Last edited:
I've wondered that but always resorted to the clever guys at Toyota must know better than me. :lol:
I remember there was an article on here by a user called OilMan who explained the differences between them and why they should be different. Maybe find it on the search.

I've moved your thread into the Oils section too :)

heya everyone.
so ive been reading through my manual to see what oils i will need to change my transfer case, diffs and gearbox oil. so far it shows they are all pretty similar but slightly different, as the photo shows (sorry its side ways). i was thinking i could maybe get away with using GL-5 80w90 for everything except my rear diff which has an lsd so id be using something like LS90.
wondering what everyone else does, just seems like such a pain in the ass to be buying 4 different oils and then have a little bits over for each type.
cheers in advance.
View attachment 164785
also just realized im in the complete wrong section of the forum
I use in my 100,

Fuchs Titan SYN 5 75W-90 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil in front, rear diffs and transfer box, with no detrimental effect.

I also use Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 C3 Fully Synthetic oil in my engine.

Crispin i had no luck finding that specific post from OilMan so i did a little more research into it and found that hypoid oil has EP (extreme pressure) additives in it to handle hypoid cut gear. GL-4 and GL-5 are just ratings for how much of these extreme pressure additives are in the oil, GL-4 having less then GL-5 but apparently GL-5 attacks yellow metals such as copper and brass. quote from one guy on another forum:
"Because of the sliding contact that hypoid gears make, their
hydrodynamic contact pressure is higher. To be suitable for use with
hypoid gears, a lubricant must be capable of resisting high pressures.

Oils with "EP" ratings (Extreme Pressure) such as EP90 are required.
Some brands describe themselves as "hypoid" instead, a term which is
synonymous with EP. GL-5 is a formal API standard for this type of oil"

still seems strange that toyota would make a clear difference in the oils that should be used for each drive unit. i think in the case of the differential they are just making sure you use a GL-5 oil instead of accidentally using a GL-4 which would not handle it.

i have heard that there are some oils that say they are for your gear box rated at GL-5 but also say they can be used in a hypoid systems

Especially since you're in Australia, remember many LCs and Prados came with limited slip diffs at the rear which need a LSD compatible gear oil.

Back