Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

sat nav off road

Compact3

Is there a sat nav system with moving maps for off road, using the grid reference system on Ordinance Survey Maps? Or similar method that works like the on road
system but displays tracks and routes as seen on 1.25000 Explorer maps.
Thanks
John

yes
Anquet maps
Memory Map
OziExplorer

and I am sure there are others?

I personally use Anquet maps on PC laptop, PDA (windows mobile) and a Samsung Android Tablet
and OziExplorer on PC laptop, PDA (windows mobile) and a Samsung Android Tablet

Anquet maps and memory map: you can purchase maps
OziExplorer doesnt come with maps, you need to "acquire" them as georeference image files

Try a search on here, loads of stuff to read.

I've been using a Road Angel Adventurer/Navigator for a number of years now :D It's a stand alone SatNav that you can load MemoryMaps range of OS 1:50000 scale Landranger maps onto, to run in tamdom with the SatNav mapping and will do exactly as you require all be it on a smaller screen. They no longer make the Road Angel Navigator or Adventurer but you can pick them up from off of the eBay without the OS maps for between £40 & £60 sometimes they come up with the OS maps, selling for around £100 to £120. You can get the OS maps SD card for between £80 and £140 depending upon what regions you want and I believe that you can get them for free if your in the know :shifty: ;)

P3180335.jpg

P3180347.jpg

P3180348.jpg

P3180349.jpg

P3180350.jpg

P3190343.jpg

P3190345.jpg

Another option along the same lines is a Binatone SatNav unit, I cant remember the model but it was a wide screen SatNav that was available for about £45 brand new the supported some kind of simple computer language that combined with its memory card slot would allow you to run MemoryMaps OS maps as with the Road Angel :D :thumbup:

My next step toward in car SatNav and mapping was going to be a Memory-Map Adventurer S7000 :)

viewtopic.php?f=39&p=70183#p70183

sae70 said:
I have been giving a lot of thought towards buying myself some kind of OS map based in vehicle digital navigation & can't help but keep coming back to the Memory-Map Adventurer S7000 :? :)

Has anyone had any hands on experience with using one or ever looked @ them in more detail than just reading about them on-line :?:

Any thoughts or information would be gratefully received :D

I wonder if any of the exhibitors @ the Overland & 4x4 Travel Show next weekend will have an S7000 available for pawing over :think: :?:

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/acatalog/ad ... t7000.html

[youtube:22vmgfr4]zgX4Z6nZNdY[/youtube:22vmgfr4]
But at £500 it's at least £200 more than it should be and it does have small issues!!! For example they make at least a half a dozen models of this unit targeting users from caravaners to truckers to off-roaders to pilots and they even do a marine version starting from £300 upto £700+ and if you get the wrong one its a real faf to get the mapping OS mapping working without it being on a seperate card so having to swap cards between on-road navigation and off-road navigation!! Even if you get the proper off-road version for around £500 you still have to turn off and reboot the unit when switching between on and off road mapping :roll: I do still think that this a great unit, its a good size screen and has some great features like the digi TV, great for weekends away in your tent at night :) But at £500 you could get an iPad2 or Galaxy that would give you far more functionality than the S7000 and a tablet to use when not off roading :)

PS - One of my off-road m8's has the S7000 so I have spent some time handling & using it and as I've said it is great but just doesn't offer great value for money IMHO :) Another one of my off-roading buddies is running a good quality laptop linked to a Garmin SatNav with topo maps and Fugawi (like MemoryMap but cheaper) and again he's spent a bag full of wonga and there's leads and mounts and all sorts of goings on and for all that money and kit we seem to spend alot of time pulled over waiting for him to reboot the whole lot because somethings stopped talking to something else :roll: :lol:

The other option and the one that I'm know very keen on is to be running a GPS enabled tablet such as an iPad or Galaxy on a Ram mount running whatever road and off road navigation that you desire and giving the option of being able to surf the net to boot :D :D :D I'm just waiting for the iPad3 to be launched and depending upon its spec (supporting Flash and a memory card slot :pray: ) I'm in :D :thumbup:

This link is well worth a look to see what Chris Green90 has done with a Galaxy Tablet viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12339&start=10

Good luck and keep us up to date with your decisions :thumbup: :D

Mrmory map and Ozi are my favorites

used to have an in car PC, which was good, but the screens were very expensive

then had a small laptop which was a bit unweildy

then had a windows mobile machine, which was great as it had GPS, but the screen was tiny, and it didn't really have the processing power.

then saw one of my friends with an ipad 2 running memory map and its was perfect- great size, enough power to be handy, most of the features you need, everything really. Would be my preferred choice if i currently had the cash. Sure an android tablet would do it just as well, but i haven't seen memory map working on one yet.

Google maps is quite handy & the satelite image is also useful for seeing routes. Not sure if you can upload/read OS maps though?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks to everyone who posted a reply to my request regarding off-road Sat Nav. Not quite sure what I should click onto on Paul's reply. Steven was a great help with all the pics. http://www.memory-map/co.uk/acatalogue ect ect does not work. My one main problem would appear to be as the owner of a proper computer, an iMac all the map sites I have looked at do not deal with Mac's, how backward is that. Was going to go to the Overland Travel Show but I notice that it is now been cancelled for this year. One thing I do not need is for it to be complicated. I only need a few maps as I live in North Wales. Will be attending the Indoor Show in March/ Billing in July and Stoneleigh and Eastnor in August. The Eastnor off-road route was, 3 years ago, interesting
Regards
John

Satmap Active 10 Plus. Comes with all of UK in 1:50,000 OS, far easier to use than memory map with all its messing about. You can also get 1:25,000 if you wish but I don't find it required for lanes.

Good value on Amazon but look at www.satmap.co.uk for the full spec first. S7000 very expensive for what it is. The satmap unit can also be used when walking etc and is water resistant.

Back