Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Seat options

Rookie93

Country Flag
united_states
Hey Guys,

In my quest to build the best off-road/on-road/hunting rig I can, I started with a 93 FJZ80 and put a Gen II 5.9 Cummins Diesel in it. I am going to go though the entire thing and upgrade it to meet my needs. So this is going to be fun! Stay tuned....

Now, for the reason of this post: The rig currently has cloth seats. I HATE cloth interior. I'm looking to upgrade the seats to leather. I have seen quite a few LC's out there with other MFG seats in them. What or some of my options? I assume that the Lexus 450 seats will work. I read somewhere that the seats out of the Disco 2 will bolt right in as well. What would be totally assume is the seats out of a newer series LC. Anybody know if they will bolt in?

Thanks!

~Rookie

Hi Rook, what colour cloth and would you consider selling me the seat pad and cover (if it's brown and in good condition) from your front passenger side?

I believe Volvo seats (IIRC XC90) fit well in the front. This was mentioned on here so might be worth a search. They're apparently good seats too. [emoji6]

I think I heard that the Volvo V70 seats are a good option too. There was a fairly recent post on here but I don't remember who...

A quick edit... Here I think...

Last edited:
I have a full set of suede seets in medium grey if you interested.

Gonna be fairly expensive to ship seats over the pond no? :wtf:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gonna be fairly expensive to ship seats over the pond no? :wtf:

I'm braced for the shipping cost Chris but hopefully if the foam and cloth can be sent only, then it shouldn't be too heavy and therefore not too bad. The volume of the seat pad will be the greatest but again wrapped up and rolled up tight in a bag should get it down.

May never happen as I don't yet know if the seat fabric is brown or whether Rookie will sell it to me. I'd settle for the pad though. I'm guessing it's the only way to get original foam that's in good order being the passenger side and less used.

Last edited:
Hi Rook, what colour cloth and would you consider selling me the seat pad and cover (if it's brown and in good condition) from your front passenger side?

I believe Volvo seats (IIRC XC90) fit well in the front. This was mentioned on here so might be worth a search. They're apparently good seats too. [emoji6]

Yep, it's brown cloth and it's in good condition. Volvo seats would be rad!! I'll check out that other post right now. I searched and couldn't find any posts on seats options (I hate newbies to a forum who post before searching too! :angry-nono: ) :laughing-rolling:

No, no hating round here Rook, just the odd gentle nudge in the right direction. Sometimes it's a bit hidden and you can need to know what to type in the searches (remembering the title or something I mean) so don't worry.

Good news on the seats. [emoji4][emoji4]
Just gotta get you some seats and convince you to sell me the pad and cover now.[emoji11][emoji11][emoji11][emoji120]

Does anybody know if later model seats out of a say 100 series Cruiser will fit in an 80? Will the Lexus 470 seats fit in an Cruiser? I would think that the Lexus stuff would for surly fit. But I need to know about the later model Cruiser stuff. The later model leather seats are way nicer and far easier to come by. Please advise everyone! Thanks!

Seats should match between Lexus 470 and a 100 series Landcruiser - as they are essentially the same vehicle. You may want to check the mounting points etc. just to be sure.

Sorry - ignore that. Re-read and realised that you are looking at a 80. :oops:

Full set? Third row and all? I don't think that I could afford the trip across the pond. But send me some pics and I'll check'm out! [email protected]

Although I've been wrong before, I've yet to see a third row of suede seats out of an import. Also usually they are not electric and dont go up and down.

I have an option on a pair of leather front seats from a 2007 3.00 liter D4D Land Cruiser.

Thats all I know of the model, would that be a Prado? (Sorry to be a dummy on anything newer than my 1995)

Second question, has anyone tried or succeeded to fit Prado front seats into an 80 Series?

I suppose the question may extend to the middle row too, but that's not high on my agenda.

I'm going to try to visit the guy (a crash write off breaker) on Saturday, to measure up and have a mosey.

Excited!

That's a 120 Series, probably called a Prado where you are.

Not sure if the rails are the same width or can be modded - the seats are a bit smaller

I just put recaro seats in my 80.
DSCN2154-600.jpg

I used the existing sliders but had to adjust them because the hinge of the original seat is welded to the sliders.
Milled out 2 welds and the hinge and seatbelt bracket came apart from the slider.
Ideas for fitting the seatbelt to the recaro seat are always welcome.
DSCN2150-600.jpg

Sliders fitted again (car rebuild is at a very early stage, loose wires and dirt will be removed:oops:) :
DSCN2151-600.jpg
the distance between the center of the sliders is 345 mm.
the distance between the bolt holes on the recaro seat is 405 mm, so I constructed an adaptor (AFAIK 345 and 405 mm are standard dimensions for seats):
DSCN2153-600.jpg

DSCN2152-600.jpg

Last edited:
That's a 120 Series, probably called a Prado where you are.

Not sure if the rails are the same width or can be modded - the seats are a bit smaller

Thanks for that Gary. I have no idea of the mountings on the 120, but if they look close enough but for some brackets to be knocked up, I'll give them a go. Clearly if they're very different, I'll give them a miss.

My biggest concern is my existing seats are fully manual. I imagine the 120 to be full electric. When I had the center console out last weekend, there's two unused plugs on the harness, maybe they're for leccy seats...:think:

Ill try to grab some harness while I'm at it, if they look like they're going to fit.

What at is electric on the 120 electric seats, is it back rake, height, lumbar, front/rear slider? I'm wondering how easy it would be to wire them up even if I don't have the harness?

Clive,
Please also consider the heigth of the seat cushion when you plan to put better seats in the 80.
I first tried to put electric seats from a ford mondeo in the cruiser, but because of all the motors and gears under the seats, the seat is too 'thick'. 30 cm. Max thickness for the cruiser is less than that.
For the wiring: the mondeo seat just needs +12V and ground wire. Maybe it's the same for the 120 seats.
good luck.

Last edited:
Clive,
Please also consider the heigth of the seat cushion when you plan to put better seats in the 80.
I first tried to put electric seats from a ford mondeo in the cruiser, but because of all the motors and gears under the seats, the seat is too 'thick'. 30 cm. Max thickness for the cruiser is less than that.
For the wiring: the mondeo seat just needs +12V and ground wire. Maybe it's the same for the 120 seats.
good luck.

Mmmmmm, I didn't think about that... :think:

But surely, the U.K. Spec 80s are often electric seats, are they so much "slimmer" than the Mondeo?

Dont really know why, but I thought cruiser to cruiser seats might give me less problems than a different make...

I did eye up some Peugeot seats, but they were mahoosive, almost 10cm wider than the 80 seats, and way longer on the rack...

Yes I think they are slimmer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 187
Back