Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Series 80 for sale on ebay

evilandy

Hi all,

Looking at replacing my much loved series 90 with a series 80 and I have seen one on eBay for sale (N51 BJM):

It looks like it’s in fantastic condition, but having just been badly burned by a poor example a few months ago I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this one?

Cheers,

Andy

It does look lovely inside and out, miles are relatively low too. I wonder what the underside looks like?

Even if it's pristine, it's £15k for a Petrol - which is still quite a lot IMHO! Having said that, what do I know - 80 prices are all over the place, so it might be a real bargain! :icon-rolleyes:

Yes, it's a petrol and a 95 at that, and yes it's not cheap. But if it's as good as it looks, you're effectively buying time. Low miles, good condition means that it's not suffering the abuse that so many others will have had and that is a real time saving. Sure, petrol not so good on the MPG but also not going to get hit like diesels will. Maybe some hard bargaining might get the price down a bit.

Not saying I'd buy it, but I was parked in traffic outside a Ford dealer today looking at a Fiesta with £18999 in the window.

Looks tidy but mot history does say about corrosion so would need a good poke round underneath!
Last mot in 2019 also had 88k miles not 87k.
If it's worth £15k I'm selling mine!!

Reactions: Bas
As above - MOT check indicates a lot of underbody corrosion. Very hard to price otherwise, as Chris says, expensive in one sense, but not compared with new cars. Personally I'd be expecting to pay £10-12K maybe, but who knows...

You've got to want a petrol 80 pretty bad to get drawn in to pay anything like that kind of money. 15K better spent on a good 100 or 150 series.
Somebody traded that in, either there or was underwritten and I bet the trade in fig was a third of that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You've got to want a petrol 80 pretty bad to get drawn in to pay anything like that kind of money. 15K better spent on a good 100 or 150 series.
Somebody traded that in, either there or was underwritten and I bet the trade in fig was a third of that.

+1. If your not concerned about petrol running costs, for that kind of money, consider a V8 100 series.

He's got an oil buner on an L plate on there too for £17k. Clearly he picks nice cars but the prices are not what you'd call realistic for anyone in the know. But it shows there are decent examples out there if you know where to look. Probably in the obituaries section.

Im intrigued by what people think 80's are worth and going to be worth....
I have have been offered 18k for mine 6 months ago and two weekends i was offered 20k off another person, i am starting to think these silly offers may eventually stop but why would they.... How many 80 series in this country are left that are actually worth buying? lets be honest for 1hdt with 100-200k on the clock, maybe a little rough around the edges but clean where it counts your looking at 8/10k and anything from 10/15k for a mint one that just wants tidying up. by the time you throw suspension wheels tyres at it your all ready at nearly 20k all in and you haven't really done anything. If the price of them in Australia, North America and main land Europe is anything to go by this is till the cheapest place to buy them even iff we all think there expensive.

Vehicle pricing is all about supply and demand of course. Example: Landrover stopped building the proper Defender, rather that the new excuse for branding/badge engineering, and prices have exploded - I find it mad that a really good 110 is now the same price as a 716 Pinzgauer or even a U1300 Unimog. It makes no sense at all, by any reasonable standard... but its happening. My guess is that the 80 Series is now getting into the same bubble as the Defenders...

Check underneath - front swivel hubs, transfercase, diffs etc.. for oil leaks

It's probably not seen anything like the punishment they get over here in Oz - I paid AUD10k for my '97 80's series cruiser, with the head rebuilt 80,000km ago, 2"lift and solar panels

Last edited:
There's a much cheaper one [£7000] listed today up in Hexham in northumberland. Doesn't look to be in the best of condition though and the MOT history is a bit patchy.

There's another one on eBay today. In Swindon. Bodywork looks very tatty. But has a nearly full MOT and only on three grand at the moment:

Another one here, in Southport. According to the blurb, owned by a mechanic who serviced it lovingly for the past 20 years. MOT history is good. But some nasty rust round the front body panels and the usual electrical gremlins. I'd have been tempted myself. But it's already passed 6 grand with 5 days to go. So I think it's destined to hit 5 figures:

I get offered money for mine most weeks, Mainly Eastern Europeans...... Mine is a work horse... But everything works And i would put it up against any Landcruiser out there for Lack of Rust or Rot.. In fact there is NON... There is a scratch and a Dent on every Panel and its got over 330,000 on the clock....And i still get crazy offers..... But i always say the same thing to them.." What do i replace it with"? "Sorry it not for sale" One Polish lad wanted to put it in the back of his Lorry and take it to Poland the same day...... Im starting to wonder when will the day come when i look out the window and its gone off the drive way........ Look after your 80's and keep 'em'......... :thumbup:

Im starting to wonder when will the day come when i look out the window and its gone off the drive way.....

That's what would worry me too. So it's probably just as well I'm unlikely to ever own one. Look what happened with the Land Rovers after Land Rover stopped building the Defenders. They were getting nicked right, left and centre and old Series 2 & 3s that you could pick up for a few hundred quid not that long ago are now listing for 15, 16 grand on eBay.

Back