Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Single battery - options?

Simon_LJ70

Garage
All, have a single 12v battery in the 88 lj70 and am about to install a few extras such as winch, compressor roof lights, rear working light, so am thinking this will need an additional battery to supply the required power.

Any suggestions of what I may need to consider and any recommendations for suppliers.

Thanks

Simon

No need to buy that relay from oz, just go to your local auto electrical place and ask for a 100A 12v relay (durite ones look identical)

TBH you don't need a second battery

But if your want one I would install it with a relay like discussed and a manual switch so it can be switched in if the main battery is flat

There's nothing fancy involved in the standard 2 battery setup on a 1990 LJ70. The second battery is just wired in parallel to the existing one.

I've got a couple of Bosch batteries from Costco installed and they run a winch fine.

Do you have space in the engine bay for a second one Simon?

Cheers

Thanks everyone, there is space for a second in there, however I think I will do a test run once the winch, compressor and new lights are installed and see how it performs. Will probably go for a second as back up as planning an alps trip and a trip to Spain next year and like the idea of a back up in there

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Assuming you will have the engine running when using all the extra's, would a larger outpuit alternator not help reduce the draw on the battery?

The standard alternator pushes out about 70 amps. The only item that will exceed that is the winch. I have the standard alternator, 2 batteries and a winch and have never had a problem.

roger

I've got 2 batteries and a winch, ..don't apear to have any issues, ... but i've got a dial thingy in the cab that's connected to the gogo pedal (if i turn the dial thingy it increases the revs)

Photo0086.jpg

That's your hand throttle. It's a further indication that the 70 series has it's roots in the commercial market. The T/case also has provision for a power take off which can be used to power a winch, or you can fit a specific electric winch. All parts are/were available from Toyota.

Roger

Yeah i'd gathered it was some kind of "cruise control" .... Didn't know about a pto on the T-case though ...will have to investigate that

Red Oktober said:
Yeah i'd gathered it was some kind of "cruise control" .... Didn't know about a pto on the T-case though ...will have to investigate that
I think it's for setting the revs higher when winching :think:

Biggest snag with having 2 batteries connected together in parallel is that if one has a issue like a failing cell it will flatten the good battery......

On my Suzuki I run twin batteries and a 150amp alternator, it gets used for challenge events so the winch gets used a lot. I have a modified Albright contactor connecting the batteries so I can either have 12v or 24v winching and split charging

On my LC I only have a single battery and the winch is currently a large drum TDS with a Bowmotor. I have dragged all sorts of stuff around with it and done some prolonged winching dragging big cables around, standard Alternator and battery is more than adequate so far :thumbup:

If I was going over landing I would run two batteries (main and auxilary) a relay for charging the aux battery and a manual switch to connect them together if the main was flat

Cossack said:
Red Oktober said:
I think it's for setting the revs higher when winching :think:

Yes ,its for all sorts of things. Its really handy for rough ground where its hard to keep the foot throttle steady. You up the revs a little and cruise over the ground at a steady speed. I think it helps keep the load off the drivetrain by applying a steady rate of power to the wheels.
Farmers turn the revs down and allow the vehicle to walk through the gate while they wait behind to close it.

Uses for the hand throttle and PTO is only limited by your imagination. Ive seen them used for pumping water,making electricity and running hydraulic pumps for 1/2 ton cranes,concrete saws etc.

Another one is crossing water. By upping the revs to say 1,200, and using first gear low range, you stand less chance of stalling the engine and allowing water to backfill the ex. system.

Roger

Less chance of stalling in water is always a good thing. But the theory of the exhaust back filling with water preventing start up has long since been disproved.

I seem to remember that in order to prove the point after much theoretical debate about back pressure, position of the valves, head about the inlet manifold etc, someone (was it on here?) just drove out into some really deep water and switched their engine off and sat there.

After some while, they turned the key and it fired up fine and away they drove. QED I think the Romans would have said.

It's also a handy place to hang your take-away to stop it spilling on the way home. Especially if you have to cross a really deep river.

I have heard of people using the hand throttle in 80 autos as a form of cruise control. But for some it was a little late when they realised that it doesn't cancel when you touch the brakes :shock:

Chris

Biggest worry I had last time I was in deep water was shutting the window to stop the water coming in :shock:

Back