Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Snorkel hole size

Mblinko

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
I just ordered a Safari snorkel and want to order up a hole saw so they arrive around the same time but don't know the hole size?

does anyone know offhand ?

Be a little cautious here Mark, I know for a fact the hole for the Safari snorkel that the size can vary on the model but, it may simply be a rumour that the hole size for the earlier version (rounded top) is slightly larger as it enters the body at a slightly different angle, the flat top version (T cup rest) is smaller and is a more direct angle.

Be patient and wait unless someone on here can confirm if there is a difference?

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, very sensible. It's the 81HF in case that makes a difference.

Mark, I have the template in the garage. I will get it out and measure it once my eyes have woken up.... Give me a couple of hours.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Isn't it something like 93mm? It's not super crucial. What you will need is a step drill though. The bolt holes cut much better with a step drill.

Why does the step drill work better Chris. When I fitted my snorkel I used step drill as suggested in the instructions but I wasn't sure why it was used as an alternative to a normal metal drill bit ?

Isn't it something like 93mm? It's not super crucial. What you will need is a step drill though. The bolt holes cut much better with a step drill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The good news is I have found the template for the snorkel holes.... the bad news is the hole size isn't marked on it, just the hole location.

If I can find the fitting instructions I guess it will say on there, but they are being elusive.

Sorry Mark?

The good news is I have found the template for the snorkel holes.... the bad news is the hole size isn't marked on it, just the hole location.

If I can find the fitting instructions I guess it will say on there, but they are being elusive.

Sorry Mark?

thanks for trying though :icon-biggrin:

I find that drilling through thin bodywork with a normal drill can distort the metal. The drills tend to grab. I do a pilot hole first and then use the step drill. It cuts a much nicer hole. Fitted a good many snorks now and the step drill has been superior in my view to conventional twist drills.

I find that drilling through thin bodywork with a normal drill can distort the metal. The drills tend to grab. I do a pilot hole first and then use the step drill. It cuts a much nicer hole. Fitted a good many snorks now and the step drill has been superior in my view to conventional twist drills.

Totally agree!

They also cut/drill through thin sheet metal a lot quicker than normal drill bits and thus create a lot less heat so the paint doesn't get damaged.

We fit about 10-15 snorkels a month at work and we would never use a normal drill bit. :icon-biggrin:

I use a step drill for work as I drill a lot of sheet metal. I find those that are straight fluted the best as the spiral fluted ones tend to snatch and distort the metal. I lost one and the replacement came fluted and I really dislike it by comparison. [emoji20]

Just to close the loop on this, it was 92mm.

I was close. Get someone to spray lube whilst you cut and make sure you de burr the edges well. Do not be tempted to run you finger around the hole. I certainly won't ever do that again.

Ouch, I can feel your pain, Normally, when using a hand planer I rub my finger across the blade surface to check for blockages. No cuts from that. The problem was when the habit continued when using an electric planer. It removed quite a bit of my finger print.

Took the end off my finger yesterday on some swarf. Was machining some very hard steel and the swarf was balling up badly. Always extremely careful with swarf but somehow it snagged and just went straight through. It twisted and locked itself in my finger. That was fun. Not sure it's going to heal. I might lose a bit off the end the way it's looking.

Regardless of the actual size of the hole, be advised that in this case, drilling oversize is a Good Thing.

And that goes for the bolts as well; there is no "rule" that the snorkel holes have to be a tight fit, and slightly oversized holes make it a lot easier to make the snorkel fit the wing.

Personally, I removed the wing first, then drilled the holes and fit the snorkel. Then I reassembled the thing and fitted it to the windscreen post.

Back