sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
............... :think: :)

PA250744.jpg

PA250745.jpg

Steven, I'm also sinking ... (don't know if you've seen the famous video clip on that?)

Give us some more detail please. Snow chains are hard to find in SA, and when you do, they are super-expensive.

They look sturdy enough. Would maybe just take some spare rubbers - the yellow ones - that tension the whole loop.

Do they stock for 285/75R16 too?

Yes, Frits here - they're even supposedly "4x4" as opposed to car ones. Presume this means heavier gauge chain...

Cost around £55/pair delivered to UK address. I'm debating buying a set or 2 in the hope we get snow :think:

Andrew Prince said:
I'm debating buying a set or 2 in the hope we get snow :think:

If you do, we'll never get snow. Called Jinxing :twisted:

In all seriousness,
Why would you want them though? Did you have a problem last winter?

That's exactly what I said to my wife about needing the snow-chains :lol:

No, definitely no problems last winter - I wisely missed all the snow trying to avoid sun burn in SA :mrgreen:
Why would I want them.... is this a serious question? :whistle:

Thanks Andrew, but those chains look OK for road tyres, but I can see them disappear in my M&S profiles on the Cooper ST's.

Besides, they won't ship to SA.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Frits Metz said:
Besides, they won't ship to SA.

There'll be lots of folk here who would ship stuff on for you. So long as it's not a white powdery substance :shock:

Sorry guys I may have missled you just a tad :) They're not mine :( They belong to my m8 who owns an MY06 LR90 :roll: ;) He has two sets one for each corner :) He's currently running a set of original BFG 255/85/16 M/T's that are about 50% warn & likes my new KM2's so much that he's decided to buy himself a set the only previso being that his snow chains fitted OK :) So he came round & had a go @ fitting them today :) Look good don't they :mrgreen: He had a play with them in the snow last year & reports that they do make a huge difference to traction especially on the compacted slippy stuff thats good for doing standing up skids along :D He said that with the chains fitted he could get the power down & brake as if he wasn't on compacted snow :mrgreen: BUT hit a clear patch of black stuff & really they need to come off :| The one you see fitted to Fiery only took him less than a couple of minutes to fit so not a huge job to get on & off :thumbup:

I'm pleased you've all enjoyed the pics :D ;)

Oh sorry ment to say that these are not 4x4 ones but lorry ones :) He actually went to the supplier in kent to try different types on his M/T's to see what type fitted the best without vanishing into the tread voids :D

I thought that chain's gauge looked a bit bigger than those on eBay. Can you tell us what gauge the chain is, where they were bought, and cost?

Hi,
I have a set of PEWAG chains for my lux, 265 75 16. I did have a set for 285s,quite chunky. They are the make recommended for le Croisiere Blanche. Talk to Chris at Devon, or google pewag.
Cheers,
Tony.

Having been cut off for 8 days last year (before the LC I might add), I have invested in a set just in case the collie cant get up the hill to our hamlet. Reading the owners manual yesterday, It tells me NOT to fit chains to the front wheels, any idea why? The problem with the collie is that it has those Dunlop Grandtrek tyres on - I have always had BFG's on my other 4x4's.
I have a pair of snow socks for the ford (Transit Connect) but even they didnt help the thing - mind you, I have to keep off wet grass with it other wise I get stuck...........It has to be the WORST thing I have ever owned with regards to off road ability - even my first Sierra was better than this!
Steve

You will need significant snow before you need chains, Your LC should manage a foot to two feet without any bother, once you are over two feet you need to know why you are out as the roads are most likely blocked with cars

Off road in the snow is great fun , but you need to know the land very well as the snow hides everything, ditches holes, walls etc and therefore has a high risk of damage and likelihood of getting stuck.

I would say 3 feet is the limit for a 4x4 before chains, you can get away with deeper but it needs to be fresh, lightly compacted and powdery otherwise you just bulldoze a compacted wall in front of you.

Last year, we had a bit of a melt and the temps dropped to -20, freezing the now wet snow solid! Couldnt even break it up much with a spade.......It would be good if I could go and get the bread for the rest of the hamlet ;)
My Ranger pick up was pretty pants due to no weight in the back, mind you it was fun on wet Roundabouts........

Steve

Reviving an old post again here ... but how have these chains been working out? They still seem to be on ebay quite a bit.

The chains in the photo are not the £30/£60 ones that you find on the bay! Although the same make these ones are truck ones and were £200+ a set!!! The links are really very large!

They were great when we were up in Wales in April with all of the snow and really made the difference between pushing on or being thwarted :icon-biggrin:

We were making good progress here without the chains.

IMG_4409_zpsfdba6f86.jpg

IMG_4412_zps0d2b12ee.jpg

In the end though we just could not get any further, so decided to have a play with the chains.

IMG_4415_zps4d793aa8.jpg

IMG_4416_zps8db02642.jpg

IMG_4420_zps263022ab.jpg

IMG_4421_zps6951ddcd.jpg

IMG_4422_zps8512982e.jpg

IMG_4426_zps2cc092be.jpg

IMG_4428_zps629eba62.jpg

IMG_4447_zps779c3405.jpg

IMG_4448_zpsf0556fab.jpg

IMG_4449_zps14579683.jpg

They were excellent and so long as the snow that your driving through is not deeper than your ground clearance they definatly made the difference between making progress or not :icon-biggrin:

Just reading back through the posts again ... they probably are the same supplier but just a heavier duty version.

Back