Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Snow

Chris,

Looks like we've both had the same idea. Not seen it this bad since the mid '80s. Pulled a guy out on Baslow Hill and he thrust a £20 note in my hand and wouldn't take no for an answer! Numerous roads round Hucklow, Abney, Eyam etc blocked by walls of snow and I mean WALLS. Got stuck yesterday at Upper Derwent. Waist deep snow, and the nearside rear slid into a mud filled gulley. I guess when you've got everything locked, all 4 wheels are spinning and and you're not moving you've sh*t it!
Good fun though......I think.

Snow4_zps98f9742e.jpg
Snow2_zpsf0544308.jpg
Snow3_zps04d07961.jpg
Snow_zpscabad16f.jpg

Agreed. It's been a blast. And there isn't anyone else out there to rescue people other than us! I can say for sure that there are people home tonight with the cars on the drive that otherwise would not have been. That, today, is what I'd call proper snow. Not two flakes and 'ooh close the schools' but proper blimey, now what, snow.

Incredible though how may 4x4 drivers were out there with no kit and no idea. 'It's a Landrover, they're 4x4 go anywhere vehicles, come on love, put you wellies and hat on and we'll go for a drive. Oh dear, we're stuck, now what do we do?' Honestly some of the dick-head driving I have seen defies belief too. Last rescue, we were in a now lane three car convoy pulling this Zook out of a ditch. Prat in a 90 comes right up behind and says' Can I get through?' Well, I said, not with us three sitting here, you'll have to back out. Oh he says, I don't think I can. Nope, he's now stuck behind up. What a div.

C

My claim to fame is that I recovered an 8ton recovery lorry with a front wheel in the ditch and pulled him out backwards. Then about 30minutes later the 4wd renault tractor that had been trying to get around to recover him had also got beached on the verge and managed to get him moving with a few snaps on the strap. The tractor driver is now off to source himself an 80series (good luck) for his farm. Interestingly the recovery driver made off without offering a penny. I was delighted to help out of course but wouldn't be happy if he went on up the road and charged some poor soul a a few hundred quid for a lift home..

Was out myself helping hapless souls who'd got stuck on Friday night.
First was giving an elderly couple wo had lost it down a hill and demolished a stone wall in their Jag a lift to friends. Second was towing the young lass in this BBC clip http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21909655 to the Wanted Inn in Sparrowpit after she'd flattened her battery and didn't want to drive in the snow any longer (BBC clip is just bollocks - the landlord of the Wanted in took her to Youlgreave in his Collie after we'd used my Collie to get her to the pub and the AA refused to help her onwards - poor girl was terrified of the conditions!). Then recovered a guy in a Navara who'd managed to embed himself into a snowdrift near the Chestnut Centre between Winnats pass and Chapel. He had no rear tow point so we abandoned the vehicle and gave him a lift to Glossop en route finding an L200 stuck in a snow drift so gave him a tug free too then on the way home found a corsa stuck in a drift on the Whaley to chapel road so dragged him out then went back and forth over the drift to flatten it out.

Conditions were terrible, We had to retrace from the Chestnut centre right back round to Sparrowpit as the shorter route to Chapel had drifts of 6 foot and more covering a 400 metre stretch. In under the 10 minutes it took to get the Navarra bloke into the Colly our wheel tracks and the holes we'd punched through drifts were all gone. Visibility was measured in yards and was as close to a whiteout as I've ever experienced.

Went out again Saturday night but no one was about. Seems that common sense had prevailed with the numpties staying indoors. Ended up at the Wanted Inn again and had a pint and a chat with the landlord. All in all a great weekend and have to say very impressed with the Colly - even on knackered Duellers she performed admirably.

Us folks in Surrey feeling sorry for ourselves. Nothing more than a couple of snow flakes that lasted for no more than a few hours, so bugger-all to do....... :(

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It looks like you guys are having way too much fun - very jealous from down here. Love that pic of the snow drift Chris :)

Whilst you have all being enjoying the snow, here in the far North of Scotland we have been fighting wildfires !
There is a dusting of snow on the mountains, but it's been really dry and there has actually been quite a lot of heath/heather fires !

Off to Holland, Germany and France at the end of the week.:icon-biggrin:

Well I don't know what sort of weather you guys have been having, but here on the edge of the Peak District it has been like Armageddon. There have been lanes simply shut with snow. Nothing a 4x4 could get down. I don't mean green lanes, I mean country lanes. It has been bonkers. We have 10' drifts here. Now you're going to say 10'? Never. I can assure you that they were higher than my truck. I have been pulling people out all day. Just finished last one before I came home for tea. Bloke had been away on his hols and knew nothing about this - couldn't get to his house! I've rescued a farmer trying to feed his sheep, a snow plough, three cars roped together, ad old chap going for a cream tea and countless other hapless souls. Best half tank of derv I ever spent. Only got stuck once myself. Most of the time I just had grip grip and more grip. It was like driving a paddle steamer. Knackered now, boots full of icy water, but damn these Landcruisers are fantastic.

Happy days. Here's a typical example from today.

Chris

View attachment 6180

Wow - that is an enormous amount of snow you have had...:shock:! What a hero for pulling everyone out of the snow :clap: :clap:

Thanks Caron. I did it for the fun of it you know. I can't help myself. In part it about improving the image of 4x4's and their drivers. Odd how people hate them, but are all in favour when it snows. And they're stuck. I pulled people out of incredibly remote places yesterday. Blasting through the snow on a country lane and .... WTF? What are you doing here in this and what were you going to do if I hadn't arrived?

Part of it is just being a smug git. I just love rescuing Landrovers. You can hear them grinding their teeth.

Chris

Hey OG, wazzit like over your way mate? I have to go to Manchester on Weds and need a bit of local intel. I'd go through Calver, past the Wanted Inn, Disley, Hazel Grove etc which is a hideous drive at the best of times. Not sure if going A 57 Sheffield is going to be any better. Won't be in a cruiser and it looks like snow again. What say you?

Chris

As of Saturday night the Chesterfield - Chapel road was entirely driveable in 2WD (followed a couple of cars) from Stoney Middleton. No idea what the Chesterfield to Stoney section was like. The only section that was a little difficult (for 2wd) was the bit from Tideswell to Peak Forest. Officially its listed as closed but then so are a number of roads round here that are fine. That said it is currently snowing here again today so conditions could change.
I'd forget the A57 as that is still closed and from what I know of conditions in that area could be closed for a while. Also don't even consider the Winnats Pass route. The roads from the top of Winnats are completely blocked to a depth of 3 feet or more. I'd be surprised if they reopened this week at all.
Also forget sidestepping Hazel Grove etc via Hayfield as that road is also completely solid with snow.
May take a run out tonight in the Colly see what the game is with the Chapel - Stony road so will update if any change.

Depending what time you head back drop in for a coffee if you like - I'm usually home about 530 or so.

Must drive from Cardiff to Lancaster Wednesday or Thursday , does anybody enroute suggest i take a detour ?

Cheers OG. I am going to take the train from Sheffield. I have to go and look at a car on the way home (not for me) so this ties up nicely. Who knows what might land in the night. I can't take a chance on this occasion.

Chris

Must drive from Cardiff to Lancaster Wednesday or Thursday , does anybody enroute suggest i take a detour ?

Can't see it being an issue. No snow at all on the M6 as far as I'm aware.

I have snow at home (and loads of closed roads) and there is snow at work (North Wales with more closed roads) but once I get west of Wilmslow there is no snow at all until I cross the Welsh border!

Hi I will be out I have got 20' of snow to go to the Road and I'm free happy days :occasion-snowman::occasion-snowman::occasion-snowman::occasion-snowman::occasion-snowman::occasion-snowman:

Can't see it being an issue. No snow at all on the M6 as far as I'm aware.

I have snow at home (and loads of closed roads) and there is snow at work (North Wales with more closed roads) but once I get west of Wilmslow there is no snow at all until I cross the Welsh border!

Cheers OG i figured as much but with the full journey being an 8 hour haul even without delays there was no harm in asking .

Hi 120' down the drive to the gates and 20' feet from the gates to the road and free Looking good and I can fix me fj45 I broke it pulling trees that had come down with the Snow so not happy but I will be happy wen I fix it up tonytoyota :occasion-snowman::occasion-snowman::occasion-snowman::banana-wrench::occasion-snowman::occasion-snowman::occasion-snowman::banana-wrench::occasion-snowman::occasion-snowman::banana-wrench:

Hi 120' down the drive to the gates and 20' feet from the gates to the road and free Looking good and I can fix me fj45 I broke it pulling trees that had come down with the Snow so not happy but I will be happy wen I fix it up tonytoyota :occasion-snowman::occasion-snowman::occasion-snowman::banana-wrench::occasion-snowman::occasion-snowman::occasion-snowman::banana-wrench::occasion-snowman::occasion-snowman::banana-wrench:

Ah yes now I see. Tired eyes mate. Sorry

Back