Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

So this happened outside of home last night.

grantw

Supporter

I have the sliver jag that was hit whilst parked. Do I need to notify my insurance company or can I just do it through the at fault driver ... which I assume is the driver of the red car?

Thanks

Last edited:
I would contact your insurance as the guy could say it was not his fault etc,

I would contact your insurance as the guy could say it was not his fault etc,

If i do that though then it affects my insurance as i'm making a claim? Does this differ from using their insurance company to write the car off (it won't be economical to repair)

The video on the link quite clearly shows who is the at fault driver IMO

If you put it in the hands of the insurers, it'll help the other guy as well I suspect - avoids the he said, they said argument.

It's also not making a claim per se; they'll ask you if you've been an accident never mind a claim so it's not much difference.

If you put it in the hands of the insurers, it'll help the other guy as well I suspect - avoids the he said, they said argument.

It's also not making a claim per se; they'll ask you if you've been an accident never mind a claim so it's not much difference.
which insurers though? Mine or his?

You need to contact your insurer to initiate a claim on his, assuming he is insured. You (your insurer) should be able to recover all losses including any excesses from the other party leaving you claim free. If you have legal assistance on your policy you could also do it that way.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
holy molly!!! that fella looks like he was doing well over 30.

I'm sure your insurance policy requires you to notify them of any accident regardless of whether or not you were personally involved. Sadly I had the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago albeit much less severe and the police we already there when I got home so got all the details off them straight away.

Unfortunately, even though the incident had nothing to do with me and all the monies were recovered from the at fault drive it still counted as a "not at fault" accident against my record and has appeared as such on my renewal forms since. I'n not sure if it had an effect on my premium though as my renewals have always been reasonable.

Great use of CCTV though, you've saved yourself a lot of time and may even make a few squids on youtoob ;)

Yes you have to notify your insurance company. If you phone them and explain they should tell you how to. They will treat it as a claim though and will reduce your NCD until they have recovered every cost from other parties. Then they should reinstate your NCD. That's what happened to me.

Invaluable camera footage though. The other parties may not be insured though and leave you with the claim cost and loss of NCD.

P.S. Their may well be some "negotiation" on the value of your car. Best to look at similar cars for sale, at main dealers if possible, to give you the highest possible "value". They usually give you a "low" figure hoping you'll accept it. Been in this situation several times and learned to proceed with caution and patience.

Clear cut the driver of the red car came from a parked position without due care and attention and so everything else was consequence . Your vid gives your insurer solid evidence of the above and a very strong case to get you a satisfactory conclusion .

P.S. Their may well be some "negotiation" on the value of your car. Best to look at similar cars for sale, at main dealers if possible, to give you the highest possible "value". They usually give you a "low" figure hoping you'll accept it. Been in this situation several times and learned to proceed with caution and patience.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I've also been in this situation. With valuation, just do a bit of homework, stick to your guns and, as Frank said, be patient.

My insurance company has been contacted/notified. I'm trying to deal with the red cars company directly which means I won't have to pay my and reclaim my excess. Fingers crossed this works out. The fall back is to go through my insurance company which they have said is ok to do. The car in question is only worth maximum £900 whilst the excess is £600. I'm hoping it is just written off making my life a lot easier.

Hope it goes OK. There's enough hassle in modern life without having to worry your way through this.

I am going through a similar issue at the moment, one of my transits was written off when parked, absolutely no disputes about liability etc.
I have to go through my insurers who appoint a claims handling company who in turn have to deal with the third parties claims handling company, I have a hired van paid for by the 3rd party insurers, not ideal as my vans are racked out etc, but something, it’s costing the insurers £600 per week.
They started off with a derisory offer, and have now nearly reached what I need to replace the van with a similar one, all the time costing them for the hire van.
This has now been going on for over 2 months.
They have had various adverts of similar vans but I can’t see this being settled before Xmas!
Be very patient & hold out for what you need, but be realistic.
Vehicle Insurance is a big con really, I just want a similar vehicle, nothing more.
Good luck!
Andy

Same happened to my Transit tipper i bought it for 700 quid and left it for 5 years 500 miles away for anyone to drive in a place where M.O.T is not a requirement so as you can imagine it wasn't well cared for . Fortunately i knew the insurance assessor so i said i will make it very simple for you , give me a grand and you can crush it OR they can fix it and i don't care if it takes 10 years . It was crushed by the end of the week .

Thanks for the advice guys ... things appear to be going well. Will just wait to see what the assessor says.

Letter from them:
Further to our telephone conversation on the 22 December. I am pleased to
confirm that you have accepted our offer of services.
We confirm that liability is admitted. In dealing with your claim in this way we
can assist you in keeping your losses to a minimum.
I would like to confirm what has been agreed and the action we have taken so
far to assist you.
 From the information you have provided regarding the damage to your
vehicle our initial assessment is the vehicle is un-repairable. We have
arranged for an engineer from a company called UKAA, to physically
inspect your vehicle and they will be in touch shortly to arrange an
appointment. Should you not hear from them within 24 hours please
contact us on the above number.
You have confirmed you don't require a replacement

Back