Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Solar panels

stan

I got a panel with the truck, mounted on the roof. The electrics of the whole vehicle were such a mess we removed everything, now I have some panels I want to use but not else,
electrics to me are like voodoo majic, if you flick the switch and it works, great, if not I'm goosed !!
any help appreciated on how to get the panels to work to charge my leisure battery..
stan

You need a regulator. The solar panels push out around 20V dependent on condition and amount of sunshine and you need to regulate that down to the charging voltage +/- 14 V for a leisure deep cycle battery. An 80W panel will therefore give you 4 Amps in ideal conditions, more likely 3 Amps on average.
The regulator that I had installed on my 80 in SA, had 3 connections: input from solar panel; output to battery; output to load. It would keep an Engel 40 fridge/freezer frozen for 3 week trips but you need to be driving at least every 3 or 4 days and the panel must be kept clean and be in optimum position following the sun, as the output drops quite drastically under less than ideal conditions.
There is a lot of solar panel info available on the SA Land Cruiser Club as many members have installed panels for over landing:
http://landcruiserclub.co.za/forum/portal.php

Last edited:
You need a regulator. The solar panels push out around 20V dependent on condition and amount of sunshine and you need to regulate that down to the charging voltage +/- 14 V for a leisure deep cycle battery. An 80W panel will therefore give you 4 Amps in ideal conditions, more likely 3 Amps on average.
The regulator that I had installed on my 80 in SA, had 3 connections: input from solar panel; output to battery; output to load. It would keep an Engel 40 fridge/freezer frozen for 3 week trips but you need to be driving at least every 3 or 4 days and the panel must be kept clean and be in optimum position following the sun, as the output drops quite drastically under less than ideal conditions.
There is a lot of solar panel info available on the SA Land Cruiser Club as many members have installed panels for over landing:
Thanks for your advice indeed..I am got new truck and think you have just solved my continuous charging issue..

Back