Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Split tailgate in UK Landcruiser

Sean18

Hi folks. First post here, hope it's the right forum.

I'm looking to buy an suv for a house renovation project. I quickly discovered that no car or suv can take 8x4 drywall so I've given up on that requirement but I will need to carry some lengthy timber.

So I've been looking at suvs and all the YouTube reviews of the 120 are in the US and show a very handy split tailgate.

Looking on autotrader in the UK, they have a swing (open on left) boot, but I did come across an Amazon with a split tail gate. What's the story here? The UK doesn't really have them? Are there any particular years or sub models I ought to look out for?

The swing door won't work at all as I'll be driving on the right side. With a split tailgate though I could leave the bottom section open and have some timber sticking out. Only a foot or so.

Cheers n beers.

P S was put off the rav4 for the same reason. I'm looking circa 2000-2008 and around £5k.

80 and 100 Cruisers have the tailgate you are looking for, as far as I know other models have side opening door. you may find it hard with your budget and the age you are looking for

Have you looked at a Hilux? Or having your materials delivered? I’m guessing this isn’t an option due to location.

Whatever you go for that most likely looks great on top YOU MUST LOOK UNDERNEATH for significant rust. 120s in particular.

Indeed, roof rack is the other option. Would work for timber and plaster board. I've just never used one before so it might be a bit of a leaving curve. I'll have a look at 100s too.

Correct, delivery isn't an option due to location.

Thanks for the quick replies!

In that case an 80 with flat roof rack or 3 or4 roof bars. I’ve done this on and off for many years. Load from the side and strap down with 5m ratchet straps. Sit the bars over the pillars and they take 100kg (not that I’d advise going too mad at loading) look for the short legged ones, they say you need long, you don’t. I’ve had ally scaffold towers, a settee, two railway sleepers, and of course the roof tent on Thule roof bars with success. You’ll find it rocks a bit but as long as you’re aware there really isn’t any bother. 8x4 sheets, no problem, and a reasonable height (for a 6 footer) to load and unload.

Yes the 80 is older but you’ll be left with a cracking, reliable truck when you’ve finished your project. Budget may be tight for a good one but not too far off. It’s possible to get small amounts of 3m lengths inside too.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The 120 series comes with either a swing out or lift up tailgate, just for reference.The lowest model, the LC3 has the spare on the tailgate and swings out. The LC4 and LC5 have an underslung spare and lift up. However, either was a factory fit choice if bought new.

Ah, that explains how I did find one with the split tailgate! Surprised brits have opted for the swing out door... these seem universally disliked.

I think tailgate is an American term, any idea what to search for in autotrader keywords? Thanks

Oh, one other question, what's the difference between land cruiser, LC Amazon, and LC Colorado?

Land Cruiser, or LC, is a whole lot of different models, varying over the years. Amazon and Colorado are UK designations: the Heavy Duty LC (80 and 100 series) called Amazon; and the Medium Duty (90, 120 series) called Colorado, also named Prado in some markets.

The load capacity of the 100 Series is incredible. With the rear seats out and a roof rack there’s not much you can’t carry.

C000B953-5164-4A2B-9FDE-802897F27093.jpeg

Good luck with your search.

Well truth be told, I don't think many people opted for any specific tailgate. They walked in, liked the one with the leather and sat nav and bought it. They got a lift up tailgate. Some people's budget was only £27k and drove away in am LC3 without the ATRAC and leather etc and found they had a spare wheel on the back door. I doubt many people genuinely realised that they could spend even more money to change the tailgate.

Tailgate is the correct word. No issue there.

If you’re regularly carrying sheets, a flat rack with a roller at the back is ideal.

It will make loading much easier and save your back a bit.

Plenty of commercial guys use them, so after the project it will sell quite easily as a used item.

If you’re regularly carrying sheets, a flat rack with a roller at the back is ideal.

It will make loading much easier and save your back a bit.

Plenty of commercial guys use them, so after the project it will sell quite easily as a used item.
Or you could just get a flatbed trailer and sell it when you are done, that is what I would do tbh

Back