Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ST MAXX failure

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Well, as some know i recently fited a set of ST Maxx tyres to the truck.

When doing the pressures recently i noticed that there was a split in the bead of one tyre. On closer inspection i found the crack/split carried on nearly all the way around the rim. It could be a fitting error but the rest of the tyre is spotless, i have only done about 500-1000 road miles.
A quick look at the others and no other faults so i contacted Craddocks where i bought them and they said they would contact Coopers, i did give the little speach that i would be persuing this one very carefully and forcefully if needed. After chasing them over a period of two weeks i have an answer. Coopers will send me a new tyre directly and arrange collection of ther faulty one, there was a small discussion about fiting costs which i will chase later but i did say that i want to inspect every other tyre very carefully before i carry on in case of another failure. Did this while doing maintenance and found the other front tyre has a small but definate split.
I will contact them again tomorrow as i'm afraid i now have no confidence with this model, and who is to say that the tyres i get to replace them dont have the same fault as i would image with such a new tyre they would be from the same batch. I am going to chase for a full refund and choose something else.

Forgot to add, the pics are with the wheel off the truck, when on with a crack at the bottom it spreads open quite a bit.

IMG00338-20111023-1229.jpg

IMG00337-20111023-1228.jpg

IMG00339-20111023-1229.jpg

I had a Cooper ST fail in a very similar way, the bead cam off completely about 1/3 of the way around. At 60 mph

Chris

Chris said:
I had a Cooper ST fail in a very similar way, the bead cam off completely about 1/3 of the way around. At 60 mph

Chris
I remember that :| This is a shame as I was really liking the look of the ST Maxx :roll: :| Interestingly they don't list them on the web site :? :?: :!:

STs should be back in stock in March 2012.

C

Worrying pics there Paul, glad Cooper are looking into it and supplying a replacement, but as you say a second is now showing signs of the same failure it doesn't instill much confidence. Its interesting that both the failures have been on the front axle, it may be that the additional cornering/steering forces that they have to endure has caused them to fail first.

As you say it is worrying, those black round things at each corner are one of the most important safety features that a car has.

Good luck getting it all sorted.

Now off my list of potential replacements for the STTs - they're not cheap either, in 17" sizes.

Will re-look at the Mickey Thomsons I think, as well as the Maxxis Buckshot's / Bighorns ...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The fault is on both fronts, but they started life on the back as i swapped them when chasing the wheel wobble problem.
My other concern is that wilth failures like this there may be more serious unseen problems (the bead inside the tyre) and the fact of the similar failure on other models that Coopers make.
I have always fitted BFG's of one type or another for years and never had a single problem so may go back to these.

Paul said:
The fault is on both fronts, but they started life on the back as i swapped them when chasing the wheel wobble problem.
My other concern is that wilth failures like this there may be more serious unseen problems (the bead inside the tyre) and the fact of the similar failure on other models that Coopers make.
I have always fitted BFG's of one type or another for years and never had a single problem so may go back to these.
Hi Paul,

It does not inspire one with confidence, thats for sure.

Are the BFG KM2 much more expensive than the STT MAXX ?

I have read many good reports on the BFG.
Personally, I would not use the KM2, but stick with the BFG AT.

Graham

I can get BFG AT for exactly the same price so may ask for a swap.

Guess I'll stop checking if they've got them in my size yet!

What about the GGAT2's :?:

I had them before on my Disco 3 as all other ATs were a bit hard and would trip the traction control. I liked them on that but the problem with the 100 is it is a little wider than the average Land Rover and on places like the Plain the side walls take a beating in the ruts. Also i think the 100 is a little heavy for them as Ecky has done a few on trips in the 80.

that's worrying .....tyres should not do that even if they were fitted by the garage monkey :naughty:

anyone heard of similar happening to the STT's ....... just off to check mine

Red Oktober said:
that's worrying .....anyone heard of similar happening to the STT's ....... just off to check mine
I never had any trouble with the STT's on my previous truck :) They are know 4/5 years old been on two trucks and are still fitted to my second truck even though it has now been converted for use as an emergency services vehicle :D

They first spent a couple of years on this one
After.jpg

Then a couple on this one
1.jpg

Then I sold her and she's still wearing them
0e0d2dd1.jpg

Pretty
5738e43d.jpg

Mind you she's a tad lighter than an eighty or a nintey :think:

Right then, after a little "discussion" with the suppliers and sellers i now have 5 x BFG AT's on a carrier to me FOC.

Coopers are asking for the old ones back and are also collecting FOC.

I offered to help them with milages, uses, type of vehicle, pressures etc etc but they are not interested.

Bit of a shame but at least they are doing the right thing.

BFG AT's are on and wow, what a difference.

Whole truck feels lighter when driving, steering much lighter and better feel on rough surfaces.

When loading and unloading the tyres the BF's are noticably lighter too.

You luckey person, {admin: mind the language please}

Thats a great result.
How did you manage to swing that, a?

You must really have the sivler tougue.

So, now the BFG AT are on, and how do you like them?

White letters in, or white letters out?
Well, from your comments, they sound to be just perfect for you, and your truck.
I guess you have inflated them to a few PSI above what your standard pressure for the standard normal tyres.
I suggest that this is to compensate for the thicker, stronger side walls.
Now I wait for you to tell us that the fuel economy is slightly better.

Graham

Back