Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering Adjustment

fridayman

Garage
Is there any sort of steering adjustment on the rack? I vaguely recall reading about some sort of adjustment screw on the rack itself somewhere...

yes there is

there is a large locking nut - cant remeber size 40-60mm and then another "bit" you can tighten-loosen that can set some sort of preload on the rack,
the nut faces rear of vehicle and is in the same area wheere the shaft from the steering wheel joins it
i adjusted mine last year as i have some "looseness" in the steering and getting a jolting feeling in the steering.
the adjustement, very minor fixed this.
i used a towbar hex-bolt as a tool to turn the adjustment part of it, as the end of these 14mm bolts fitted perfectly, and a stilson or molewrench to tighten/loosen the big locknut

it is in the max ellery manual i think

ps why do you want to adjust it?
check for worn tierods first

i figured out it was this that was loose on my vhecile by having a neighbour hold sides of a front wheel when lc on axle stands, and shake side to side, and i could feel and hear the "clonk" in area of this preload rack guide.

Hi, I have a quite bad shimerring at motorway speeds, about 70-80 mph. I have balanced the tyres and still no change.

Could this be the steering rack then, If so how do I adjust this Nut, and which may and by how much. What does the nut adjustment actually do. sorry for all the questions!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't really feel a clonk, but I have fitted Superpro bushes, changed the outer tie rods and changed the steering fluid, and I still think the steering has a bit more play than I like. I have a set of inner rods to fit but with no clonk I was wondering if there is some adjustment that I could try first.

is your tracing right if you have lifted it, toe out will give a feeling of freeplay

I have had it done a few times and struggled to get the caster right. I think the guy got fed up when I took it back the last time and might not have done it right - he had it off the ramps with no printout before I could check. I'll get it done again.

Back