Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stress and effect on a vessel in severe weather conditions

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
:occasion-balloons: Look at two mins in at the twisting below deck.

good grief! Its like looking down a hoover hose i didnt realise they moved about that much! Aeroplanes yes - been in a bendy nimrod that was fun.. ......

You can see how these things occasionally go missing without trace in bad weather. One disappeared the other day - just two of the crew found in a rubber liferaft.

It explains why ships that look repairable are just sent to scrap, what's the life expectancy with all these stresses ?

Bob.

It's quite remarkable when you imagine that it's 2" plate bending about like that (I'm guessing of course).

I know nothing about ship building, but it would be pretty thick stuff.

Years ago I had a windscreen shatter on the M6, (shatter, shows how long ago) at about 10pm on a section of viaduct. It was raining heavily and dark and couldn't drive beacause I couldn't see anything.

I phoned the ES and they said pull over as close to the parapet as you can and stay in the car. Every truck that went past caused the deck to flex, especially when more than one passed at the same time.

I was stuck there for a good 90 minutes and TBH, I felt quite seasick most of the time. I know the construction of that section and it's 1.8 m high steel box girders with strengthening webs internally, and there's even strengthening to the webs. I spent a working week inside them once, measuring up the welds.

It's thick stuff, close to 2" and it bounces like a trampoline.

That was in the early 70's, imagine how many trucks have been over it, how many oscillations that deck and it's beams have done, since then.

If it didn't flex it would snap , and that doesn't look like severe weather to me i would guess force 7 or 8 max .

I wouldn't be surprised if the sheeting was no more than 6mm thick because the strength is in the keel and ribs .

If it didn't flex it would snap , and that doesn't look like severe weather to me i would guess force 7 or 8 max .

I wouldn't be surprised if the sheeting was no more than 6mm thick because the strength is in the keel and ribs .

6mm?

My bumper is that thick!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The Dover Ferry will never feel the same again.:scared-shocked:

Don't worry Chas a mate of mine worked on the Seacat and said they weld up the hull on every trip so it should be fine :lol:

Don't worry Chas a mate of mine worked on the Seacat and said they weld up the hull on every trip so it should be fine :lol:
I came back across the Channel once the weather was so rough the Captain made an announcement that if he'd know in advance it was going to be that bad he would never have left port, the bows were going under the water and you could feel the engines race as the stern lifted I saw people literally green with seasickness amazingly I was OK.

Back