Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

stuck oil pressure gauge

bear_80

Country Flag
australia
my in dash oil pressure gauge always sits on the bottom 1/3 line, no matter if the ignition is on or off.

i would think there would not be any oil pressure if the engine is not running.. leading me to believe there is an issue with either the gauge or the sensor.

does anyone have any insight that may help me, or should i just start by replacing the sensor, or gauge

80s are a bit modern for me but the sensor sounds like it is stuck - old dry oil, a bit of muck or metal could make the spring or ball stop working. Try taking the sensor out and tap the sides a few times, it might dislodge whatever is gluing it. The gauge is unlikely to be the fault... but I have been wrong before! If it is old dry oil then an engine flush might be in order.

Regards,

Thanks Rodger, I have just purchaced some flushing oil concentrate from cost effective maintenance website, to do an oil flush, when i do a complete service and am going to change all my oils, incl gear box, transfer case, and diffs.

i might just buy a replacement sensor, because there's no garantee giving it a tap on the sides will free it up.

even if the sensor is buggered, shouldnt the gauge return to zero when the key is turned to the off position?

Sensors are adjustable, takes a bit of time but can be done.

regards

Dave

Back