Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sunroof drain blocked KZJ78 Help

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement everyone,
And now for the next thrilling installment..

I borrowed a mini drain cam from Mike. I opened the sunroof upwards and had a shufty behind the glass panel.

Found some bits of rubber strip on one side and on the other.... an adhesive strip has partly come off the rail and is lying over the drain.

I attached a hook to the camera and tried to retrieve the bits and also pull off the partly unattached piece .... I have now called it a day .... yes its raining again. looks like I may have to remove the sunroof, I dont want to do that. I will have a go with some other tools tomorrow but it doesnt look good.

Has anyone removed one before, ?

Yes.

Their not to hard to remove. You have to remove all the pieces of interior trim around the edges and then you will see the bolts with 10mm heads which hold the sunroof in. :icon-biggrin:

Hi Shayne ..... .Please explain your proposal for the trombone brush , I was thinking a violin would be more appropriate.....? :)

Mabe I should forget the rubber bits for now and check the pipes then .... reading between the lines ?

Another idea once you've actually got the drain working , why not tip some sand in and blow it through with a compressor , it might just dislodge anything you can't reach .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OK drain unblocker wasn't a good idea , glad i posted it though coz i would probably have just poured it in without even reading the label ! How about a mix of hydrogen peroxide , water and bicarb of soda . It sizzles and expands and has great cleaning properties but is so harmless i use it as mouthwash .

Got to leave it today, Going to pull out the headliner on each side if I cant guide a wire in. Tomorrow !

Not chancing any stuff that stains, burns or dissolves paint and flesh. If it doesnt do the job I'll have a worse problem with it stuck in the line getting all over everything, tools seats hands clothes etc.

It Might have worked but a bit chancy.

Thanks for all these ideas, ... keep em coming.

Well despite the weather I managed to get a wire about a ft down the nearside one, the offside was so tight I got about 2 inches in and got stuck. I used all the techniques described and some of my own but no avail.

I have discovered how the center console got broke, I repaired it when I bought it, now its broken again, Kneeling one knee on each seat, I diddnt realise my feet were all over the place, can only guess this has been an ongoing problem for previous owners ..... they never told me though. Bit late to take it back now.! ....

I will post when I have the trim and head liner down

Sadly it looks like you may have to remove the hoses from the frame and knock the debris out from the inlet end. That's a pain because it's all up over the level of the headliner.

I don't know how each of the hoses are attached at the bottom ends, otherwise you could remove them completely to clear them. Not very helpful I'm afraid.

Be sure to add pics as you go . I'm wondering myself if you could tap into the drain just under the headliner and run a new pipe straight down behind the panel where your seat belt is and out through the floor ?

Well it was pretty much as Ben described.
I removed the top rear seatbelt anchor on each side, then pulled off the plastic trim under the belt anchors, took off the grab handles over the doors, then peeled back the trim around the top of the door frames. Then carefully peeled back the head liner edges which is held on the door frames with glue and clips. Once I had peeled back enough to get my hand into the roof space I could feel the pipe and retaining clips. After removing the clip easily with just 2 fingers, (The drain pipes were quite tough but the hoses came off a little too easily) I pulled the pipe down and shoved a hoselock male end into it, then turned the hose supply on. (did this on both sides) all the muck ended up washed out on the floor at the back, running out of 2 (seperate) short pipes coming out of the inner rear 1/4 panels. It took me 20 Mins to get it all back together and I cant tell its been done.
The tool I used to get the glued head liner off the door frames was a small right angled pick from a set of 4 bought from from Aldi. It enabled me to leave glue on both sides, which made the re-attaching really easy.
Next time I want to clean out these pipes I will try with with compressed air up the pipes at the back (or a good vaccum cleaner) whichever works best.

Glad you got it fixed. :thumbup:

Sounds like the 5 door runs 2 drain hoses at the rear of the car, verses the 3 doors 1. :think:

Last edited:
Front ones drop down inside the A pillars and stop inside the sills. :icon-wink:

Back