Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sunroof leaking woes

hi i used to fit alot of window in buses the best thing to use as a sealent is sikaflex i think its 221 this stuff is amazing. like bat said if you put something to strong in you will break the screen when you need to take it out. sika has a primmer but if you are just back filling you donty need it.
just take out the beading then put the nozzle between the seal and screen and go around then do the same between the body and seal. you musty wipe the excess off asap dont let it go off you have a few mins to do this then put your bead back in and then wipe any more that comes out and done.
you can use something like brake cleaner to help you smoth out what has come out.
any information please ask. if in my area can help you i think i have a tube left .

Ps dont use the marine grade stuff as i goes off to fast to be able to do this job. i used this on a boat before and it goes off in seconds so no good for this kind of job

I resealed mine with clear silicone. This does bond quite well but will peel off if you have to get the screen out. If the screen has to come out presumably the glas is bust anyway. A new rubber and silicone would be pretty good overall solution IMO. My installers used a rubber sealer which went brittle and fell out!

Frank

I use the marine grade stuff quite a lot and my complaint would be that it takes to long to cure! When sealing a fitting to to the deck I like to clamp it down to form a thin gasket then tighten it up once cured. Most of these Eurethanes require humidity in the air to cure the sealant so I guess that with warm humid conditions it might set too fast- but not usually a problem in this part of the world! Also best way to remove a 'sika' bonded part is to apply heat and as much as you can without damaging the surrounding material.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
i was using the stuff when i worked in croatia when it was 40-46 in the shade that might have playied apart in it going off before you could do what you needed it to.
when in the colder time i used to heat the sika up with a blow torch to make it flow better.

I've just read a few more posts on your thread and taking particular notice of the first pic posted it seems the problem can be cured with silicone but its a bit hit and miss .
This made me think of stuff i found called "Green Stuff" it's like Plasticine but it sets hard in a few hours . People use it to make toy soldiers and stuff . I wonder if you could make some sort of cover , plug , cap or whatever you want to call it that would prevent water getting in then once its set just glue it in place with superglue ?

Green Stuff is a 2 part epoxy putty of sorts you can get it on ebay for about a fiver .

You be better off using something like Sugru for that as it sets like a flexible rubber. Green stuff would be too hard imo.

Last edited:
OK, possible leaks that are beging fixed:
- windscreen went out, new weather strip, 127 euros here in belgium :(, gave the guys from the garage the FSM pages, so normally installed the proper way, drying as I type
- snorkel bracket at A pillar was loose, thightened the 3 screws and some silicone
- rain gutters are being treated against rust and resealed
- sunroof: small caps that were mentioned on first page of this topic were broken, apparently they are important:

attachment.php?attachmentid=339442&d=1247512863.jpg

Also apparentely there are supposed to be rubber plugs at the bottom in the holes where the water is coming out from the sunroof...
I just have holes there. But it seems strange that there are supposed to be some plugs..

You mean the rubber gromits that run along under the sills, i took mine out years ago when i found the sills were full of water.

Don't tell me the leak started because you took the plug out of the sink :laughing-rolling: , sorry its the simple things in life that make it all worth while , glad you've found a fix .

Ok, water test today, but...
the two small plates for the sunroof are on their way from japan I guess. 15 march the will be here...
I will tape the sunroof for now and do the water test.
Hopefully it's ok now...

Water test... not good
It was worse then before... Water started to come in in the corners of the window, behind the dash. Some small puddles...
Sealant was applied like stated in the manual, but apparentely not enough...

Another test today

Did you remove your snorkel to get the sealant behind there too?

Back