Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sunroof water leak

Charis

Country Flag
cyprus
Ok guys girls etc.... Before everyone starts saying next time use the bloody search button . I did , i found posts also on google i read them i did test some of the ``fixes`` , but let me tell you whats the issue . The water leaks on to the front mats . I have checked the drains are both open i sprayed water , also i have passed a thin wire from top to bottom(i didint damage anything ) with out any problems. The water leaks from the 2 side pilars that the front window is attached. Any ideas ? I have already order the moulding for replacement. By the way i can hear air coming from the sunroof when on highway.

The sunroof often causes some wind noise, I find that after closing from the slid back position, backing off with the switch just a fraction, the wind noise is reduced. There's possibly an adjustment somewhere, but I haven't investigated it.

As for the leaks, is it both sides? Most leaks I've heard of coming from the "A" pillars are from the windscreen.

The front drain outlet pipes from the sunroof, run down the "A" pillars. The only way to access them is by removing the headlining, which is not such a big job as it may look. Lots of careful trim removal, but once out of the way, the headlining is free.

When my headlining was dropped for the re-spray, I found one of the drain hoses split. That would give you a leak, for sure. Very little water gets into the sunroof drains TBH and the only trouble I've had is water dripping on my head from the front drain, because it's become blocked. So if you've cleaned that with a wire, I don't see how it's the sunroof giving you problems.

One way to check is to temporarily seal the sunroof with masking tape on the outside, all the way around, and see if the leak stops.

I think your water is coming from the windscreen seal.

Likewise, I have had this issue and checked the sunroof. I have had no water, not a single drop after removing and refitting my windscreen using Butyl Screen Sealer from EBay. Just keep it to yourself ok. :shhh: Time before last I mentioned using this, Chris told us all he likes to fit his windscreens 'au naturelle'…it took me three days to get that image to shift!! :o

It's not too bad a job if you're careful and IMO it is the only way to do the job and make the screen leak free.

The other way to see if you get water through the stitching on the A pillar from the sunroof is to block the end of the drain tubes and fill them with water. If that shows nothing then it is sure to be the screen.

Had a similar problem on the front right pillow / windscreen under heavy down pours of rain before. Never addressed the issue really but hopefully rectified changing the front window seal. Either way i'll know soon when were lucky enough to have rain :shifty:

Clive & StarCruiser hopefully have helped you Charis :thumbup:

Had a similar problem on the front right pillow / windscreen under heavy down pours of rain before. Never addressed the issue really but hopefully rectified changing the front window seal. Either way i'll know soon when were lucky enough to have rain :shifty:

Clive & StarCruiser hopefully have helped you Charis :thumbup:
Gents i couldnt just start buying parts . SOoooooo i took the car for car wash :) hahaha it was a nasty expirience . I could see both pilars dripping water left one was like opening a bloody water hose. Any way am 100% sure that the front pilars are problematic. Called the companie installed the glass and is cover under everything . Monday morning i will send some photos if am there.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Did you tape up the sunroof before going through the car wash?

No i didnt . Did i make a mistake ?
Yep.
All you've proved is that water comes into the car. You don't know if it's sun roof of screen, though my money is on the screen. But you need to prove it.

I had my screen fitted four times by the same company under warranty and it still leaked. I eventually did it myself and it hasn't leaked since.

As Rich said, if you had taped up the sunroof, you'd know for sure it was the windscreen.

If no water had come in, you'd know for sure it was the sunroof.

It's the process of elimination, and you've eliminated nothing!

Next time you run it through the car wash, tape the roof up, it's very easy to do in the dry. :thumbup:

As Rich said, if you had taped up the sunroof, you'd know for sure it was the windscreen.

If no water had come in, you'd know for sure it was the sunroof.

It's the process of elimination, and you've eliminated nothing!

Next time you run it through the car wash, tape the roof up, it's very easy to do in the dry. :thumbup:
On my way to carwash taped :)

"if" you do have a leak in the sunroof, I just recently fixed mine so can give some advice but it is more likely the windscreen

Did you use waterproof tape :grinning:.
L O L . Yeap . 3M says Waterproof says , used for external applications says ........The price says it all 12 Euros for 8 meters of waterproof and removable tape....It was the last piece ....

What happened when you went through the car wash this time with the tape on Charis? Did you get water in?

Guys any one has a guide on how to remove the front dash ???

Back