Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tailgate window removal, any tips?

pbgt

Country Flag
ireland
Any tips on removing tailgate window as some rust showing under seal.

Thanks in advance

Using a blunt screwdriver or similar, gradually prize the rubber over the body lip from the inside and push the glass out. It isn't the bonded glass type as on many newer vehicles. You will almost certainly need some sealer to make the glass waterproof on reinstallation. I used Arbomast. You can of course cut the rubber as suggested but that obviously requires a new one.

So basically the window should push out when rubber is lifted over the lip?
Will obviously need someone to support window on other side of tailgate?

I pushed mine out with the tailgate open. Refitting is with the old paracord method.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Use a tool like the 2nd one from the left. Flip the seal on the bottom over the lip along the bottom and lower corners, then window should lift out.

Refit push window into the hole flip some of the seal over the edge. Work you way round working ie hitting the glass with a sand bag. Then make sure all the seal is flipped over the lip

Screenshot_20231122-225441_Chrome.jpg

My advice for taking out (and replacing) windows, is pay a proffesional to do it.

That's what I did, initially and they made a right feckin spice shop of the whole thing. I ended up taking it out and refitting/sealing it myself. Choose you "professional" wisely.

Any tips on removing tailgate window as some rust showing under seal.

Thanks in advance
I've rust on mine as well on one spot and only a matter of time before its a "hole" rather than bubbles. Be interested to see how you repair yours

Back