That other Brand - What is this?

rob rule

IMG_20171104_094229.jpg
IMG_20171104_094339.jpg
IMG_20171104_094258.jpg
IMG_20171104_094241.jpg
IMG_20171104_094432.jpg
IMG_20171104_094528.jpg

Looks a bit like one of the lightweight LRs but other than that no idea. It’s is fecked by the look of it

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yet another broken down Land Rover…:icon-rolleyes:

Curiouser and curiouser....
it is left-hand drive. According to all knowledgable Wiki - the few LHD that were produced, mainly for the Dutch Army, but for the Dutch, they put the indicator lights on top of the light-box....
So who would want a military Lightweight LR (signals type) - non-British military, non-Dutch destination, European model that ends up in the middle of Saudi?

The underslung winch, I initially thought was a rather botch job - fitted at some later stage. However, Signals (cable laying) may have been "OEM" specification?

Also, the choice of tyres fitted are interesting - BFG (i don't think they were standard LR or Brit MIL spec) and judging by their wear they have not rolled that much (completely buggered by standing for so long in the sun)

it would make an excellent restoration candidate - if that floats your boat....

I nearly bought one of these in the early 80's which had the V8 shoehorned in. Very basic vehicles with an interior like the inside of an empty oil drum. There were still plenty of them around back then and you could even buy them direct from the MOD where they were referred to as 'Air Portables'.

There were still plenty of them around back then and you could even buy them direct from the MOD where they were referred to as 'Air Portables'.

They had a narrower track than standard Series IIIs to allow them to fit inside 'Andover' freighters.

They weren't any lighter than the standard ones, though a 'Wessex' helicopter could lift them.

Bob.

Curiouser and curiouser....
it is left-hand drive. According to all knowledgable Wiki - the few LHD that were produced, mainly for the Dutch Army, but for the Dutch, they put the indicator lights on top of the light-box....
So who would want a military Lightweight LR (signals type) - non-British military, non-Dutch destination, European model that ends up in the middle of Saudi?

The underslung winch, I initially thought was a rather botch job - fitted at some later stage. However, Signals (cable laying) may have been "OEM" specification?

Also, the choice of tyres fitted are interesting - BFG (i don't think they were standard LR or Brit MIL spec) and judging by their wear they have not rolled that much (completely buggered by standing for so long in the sun)

When I was working there in circa 79-81, we processed military spec contracts for, Belgium and Holland in Europe, Indonesia Hong Kong, Jamaica, Brunei, Guyana, and in the Middle-East Libya, Saudi Arabia and the Sudan, so it doesn't surprise me that there's a "stray" LHD military spec floating around (or abandoned) in the KSA. I'd guess it's Saudi military spec.
We also processed orders for the Israeli Army but they kept a bit quiet about those, not to upset the Libyan and Saudis too much.

Reactions: uHu
Back