Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thread for venting frustrations about...

Sam

Garage
:angry-banghead:

I'm starting this thread with a view to venting steam and preserving the lives of a clueless frustrating moron client.

Please feel free to join in should you feel the need with any other topic.

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Probably best if we don't name names... but if you, like me, feel the need to vent ultimate rage without risking jail time -

:angry-banghead:

head bash away!

Odd one this...

17½ years at my current place of employment & I tell the MD I've an offer of a new job to get the response...

'Gosh... We'll miss you if you go...'

Now, where's that wall to bang my head against :lol:

Seemingly not Jay Dubbleyuh :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fark, what's a guy got to do to impress in this day & age???

Yours
Gobsmacked

:lol: :lol:

:cool:

Don't know what business you're in Gav - but it sounds like a Poker play to me too... from both of you ;)

My 2p... from a business perspective no MD can afford to let anyone be or seem to be bigger than the company. First thing you learn in the big chair is never to be held over a barrel. My response would generally be the same as his - then see what you do.

IMHO, the questions important....

"Can I have a raise / more money please" ... can easily be followed by "No!" (or yes but not often)

"What do I need to do to earn more money here" .... starts the conversation you want to have - makes it clear you don't just want a handout - and more importantly it's really hard to answer with something dismissive. Focusses the brain on what you "actually" have to do get more cash (if that's what you're after).

Of course, if they say "nothing" you know exactly where you stand too... and if the MD is someone you don't want to have that kinda conversation with... your getting up in the morning to make the wrong bloke rich!

I'll stop pretending to know anything now - I don't :whistle:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That said... that reaction after 17 years there?.... MD's clearly a nob! :lol:

There'll be no name calling on this thread Samuel... :p

Or poker playing on my behalf - accepted the job last Thursday & told my MD yesterday to a very similar blah response so, flingers clossed, outta here come the end of March...

What a way to run a place :whistle:

Yeah sorry about that... finger slipped... and missed the edit time window :oops:

I'm sure I meant "job....s worth" :whistle:

If you've got that much experience with the company it can only be a loss to them.

Best of luck with the new start fella :thumbup:

Gav,

I wonder if the conversation your MD had with his mates at the pub went something like this.....

"Been working with this chap Gav for 17+ years, loyal, hard working, smart and dependable. Find out he's been offered another job, guess he must have been for the interviews an all... Had no idea he was unhappy... :shock:

Of course not saying that's what actualy happened... :whistle:

Both parties end up feeling a little agrieved and unappreciated. The best course of action is probably what your doing... moving onwards and upwards.. good luck with new job chap. :thumbup:

I guess a little bit of everything from the above, well, barring the 'smart' bit for sure!!! :lol:

As with all jobs, there's so much going on beneath the surface but where I am now is a very small (less than 10) family run business that is aging rapidly. MD is 86, his son is early 50's & he's the main stumbling block to me staying... He is just an strange chap with his head in clouds & feet no-where near reality so as the rest of the workforce age & retire/die, I'll be left holding the can with him & it isn't an appealling thought...

But hey, many thanks for the best wishes gents - very much appreciated. I've actually known the chap/his company that I'm going to work for more or less since I started here so its not a completely cold move but it is in quite a different area of engineering - no more getting covered in flour or sugar for me... :twisted: Automated/robotic packaging systems lie ahead :?

...and bash plates etc?

Oh and best of luck by the way. Sorry. Got that the wrong way round. Stop digging. Damn.

Chris

Back