Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Threat to chassis ?

frank rabbets

Guru
These HD front bumpers I see. I know nothing about them but have they got a week point so if you hit something solid they will not bend the chassis? Front bumpers should be sacraficial re chassis shouldn't they?

Frank

If you mean "will they not" bend the chassis, then I think if you do manage to do that.... it will be the least of your worries.

I know we didn't hit anything, but following this the front ARB and chassis was about the only thing that didn't bend :icon-cry:

Well Frank has a point, but IMO only relevant to minor shunts. Again IMO the chassis will sustain severe minor shunts without problems. BAT's major shunt is awesome in the very true sense of the word. A very lucky escape from almost certain death in any other type of vehicle. Incredible!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ARB bumpers and possibly TJM as well have sacrificial mounts between the bumper and chassis, to protect the chassis from unnecessary damage. If you have a custom made bumper then I would agree with you Frank, they could damage the chassis. Although I have driven at full throttle in low first into a tree in mine and my custom made bumper gave way rather than the chassis.

Last edited:
A I have driven at full throttle in low first into a tree in mine and my custom made bumper gave way rather than the chassis.
Some thing you want to tell us Rob ?:whistle:

Gra

Got nothing to hide Graham, all mentioned in a Lincomb thread somewhere, usual case of tree jumping out in front of me.

Just before:

And after:

There was also this event, no damage to the truck:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I bashed my old 80 into tree stumps, earth banks, concrete blocks and wrote off 2 cars, one at about 25mph and the other about 50mph and it was fine so I'd say if you hit something hard enough to bend the chassis you'll be glad there was a nice solid bumper up front instead of the bendy thing Toyota supplied. On the red 80 we had to put an ARB on the front after Berris rammed it in reverse with the tow bar on her ordinary estate car, 80 bumper was wrecked with some damage to the panel above, not a mark on the other car!

Last edited:
but following this the front ARB and chassis was about the only thing that didn't bend :icon-cry:

Paul when I first saw this some years ago on your site, I meant to ask, was the HLJ bolted to the floor or floating around in the rear of the truck when you had the roll:wtf:? pat8.jpg

It was under the bed that was bolted into the back of our Patrol.

Hi Paul,

Is UKGSer your site?

Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Gra.

Not a stupid question Gra, yes it is.

Been a 'biker' for 36 years now Gra, currently have a 99 1100GS and a 95 Harley Road King.

So wish i could ride a bike, i allright going in a straight line, it's only when i want to turn a corner i instintcly steer rather than lean into a corner.
Sorry for the thread hijack.

Back