Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Timing belt snapped (1HD FT 300.400km)

Just changed my timing belt on my Collie. The belt I took off looked pretty new and in good nick but I didn't know when it was last changed. Does anyone keep their old belts for emergencies. I've done that with the alternator and steering pump belts only to be used as a last resort if I was a bit stranded somewhere.
I always did that with my 78, especially as they were changed before time and still looked good.
Not something I would chance with the timing belt though.

A final update:
Had to replace the head due to one broken camshaft bearing cap, which was a bummer because the only other damage that was done was a cracked rocker shaft and one broken rocker. No damage to the valves (were checked and all dead straight) and no damage to the pistons (only a very slight marking).

The engine is now running great again as if nothing ever happend to it.

What a relief. Where did you obtain a bearing cap and did it fit without machining ?

I had a similar thing happen to mine, although for me brand new hydraulic tensioner failed about 3 months after changing the belt. For me also, only damage was a snapped rocker. Engine is running sweet again, sounds better than ever!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My tensioner was OEM (NTN) not branded Toyota. Snapped rocker was original.

I would look very closely at the pistons. Head damage aside if a piston took a hard enough hit it could crush one or more of the ring lands. With the ring/s now trapped it/they cannot open/close with engine temperature.

If there is a problem you will not know about if for a few thousand miles, then you get loss of compression followed by smoking, so a very very close look at the pistons.

regards

Dave

Just new here and this is all from last year, but have just had the same thing with tensioner snapped after about 1 week of operation, maybe 500km and I am going to chase the manufacturer for some sort of compensation. Where it broke looks like cheap munch metal not good steel and this item must be good quality as we all know. I wonder if you could send the name of the manufacturer of the timing belt kit or tensioner to help my case

My tensioner was made by NTN who make the OEM part for Toyota. On mine the oil seal failed, losing hydraulic tension, this in turn allowed the belt to slip, and broke a rocker. Belt was genuine part Toyota. Engine is still fine since repairing.

Perhaps best to buy tensioner direct from Toyota. I've had a run in with them over a failed part (not tensioner) and they paid up even though "warranty" had expired. I argued the part should have lasted at least 6 years. Just because a part has the same makers name on it as one from Toyota does not mean it's the same quality. I'm on 160,000 miles with the original tensioner. I think if the tensioner seizes on it's shaft there may be extra stress so I always oil the shaft on belt change. WSM says to just check tensioner and replace if required.
Best to compress VERY slowly in a vice to reset the holding pin.

I changed mine a couple of years back after the original started weeping fluid even though it seemed to still be working OK. I bought the OEM NTN part from Roughtrax.

I would have thought the right design would be to not let the belt lose enough to skip teeth after the oil had run out. Took mine apart to see how it worked years ago but lost the oil on the bench. Used engine oil to put it back together. Been OK for last 21 years. Several belt changes. Now when I put a new belt on it whines for a bit meaning that the wheels teeth are worn.

I changed mine a couple of years back after the original started weeping fluid even though it seemed to still be working OK. I bought the OEM NTN part from Roughtrax.
That's where my tensioner was purchased, just unlucky, I guess.

Back