Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Torches

warrenpfo

As its the new year and this is my last year in the UK before heading back to SA I woke up this morning and thought I would compile a list of all the must have toys before I head back.

Now I have had a 2 penlight cell maglight for some time that I found in a cave back in SA which has served me well for 15 years or so but torch technology has moved on and so have decided that a good handheld torch is a must have replacement for those dark nights on a campsite or hiking and general around the house use.

Having done some googeling this morning the choice is endless and so I thought I would put it out there and see what you guys are using. Some of the brands that have come up time and time again are Fenix, Surefire, Stream Light, Zebra Light and Led Lenser. I think a min of 200lumins, waterproofish/splashproof with a good runtime and LED/HID technology is a must.

I have about 6 LED lensers and they are fantastic torches. Excellent run time, well built. Take your pick They do a top of the range one, it's an X-1 or something which is mental. Pricey though. My mate has one. It truly is like daylight.

Can't fault them at all.

Chris

You can get leds to replace the bulb in the maglite, saves having to buy a new one :thumbup:

You're right Paul. You can, but go for the genuine Mag light one. Some of the copies are a bit rubbish. It does transform the torch for a tenner. Still not as god as a lenser, but I have converted all my Maglites to LED. I'd forgotten that.
I thought that ML were very slow to get on that wagon. They must have lost millions of sales over the years that it took them to catch up.
C

It's a shame Tesco's stopped seller their double C 3w cree led torch for £12, which was the talk of the internet at the time :mrgreen:

Lucky for me I have one, still not changed the batteries yet.

I have also a small 2AA maglite with a LED bulb in from Ebay but its not a patch on the Tesco's one.

As far as I know, the Cree Led's are or at least were the bulb to look out for in a LED touch.

I recently bought a pack of 3 LED torches from homebase for......£2. Ali bodies, 6LEDs and while you're not going to blind people 3 blocks away, it's perfect for seeing at night.
Also a couple of head torches from CPC for £2.50 each.

I would like a nice torch with a mount though for the car.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If it were me, I'd get myself one (or more :cool: ) of these:

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix_tk40.html

fenix-tk40.jpg

Got to be one of the best tactical torches going ... :cool: :lol: :lol:

The whole range is very good actually

Stop it! 12 months to wait for stuff like that ;)

I have five of the Cree LED lenser types but they just don't seem to last.
A bit peed off with spending many quids on things that only have a short life.

My Maglites are still going after many years of use. The Cree type are fantastic whilst they work.

Maybe I need to buy one of the stupidly expensive ones but it seems such a gamble.

What actually goes wrong with the Cree's, I've just bought a small one :pray:

Gary Stockton said:
If it were me, I'd get myself one (or more :cool: ) of these:

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix_tk40.html

fenix-tk40.jpg

Got to be one of the best tactical torches going ... :cool: :lol: :lol:

The whole range is very good actually
I'm torn between thinking blimey that's a stupid amount of money just for a torch I'll stick with my mag and mmm that looks like a cool toy :lol:

If you think that is pricey Jon, try Surefire for silly money torches that can even "incapacitate" :o . Actually I purchased the baby of the range a couple of years ago; the G2 Nitrolon - it fits in the palm of my hand and is perfect for wildlife spotting in the bush - the range needs to be seen to be believed and it weighs bugger all. :thumbup: I thought it was a lot for a little torch but it has proved itself time and again in the bush.

I've got 2 Mag chargers both with LED upgrades

House version with 5w terralux upgrade for 200 lumens, still too bright for round house.
Truck mounted one with Terralux 700 lumens upgrade :shock: Can drive without headlights and the light is better than the stock lights.

http://www.shop4torches.co.uk/acatalog/Terralux_Mag-Lite_Maglite_Mag-LED_LED_Upgrades.php

Also have a Fenix TA 21. Probably the best so far especially the 4 lumens light which is great round camp or in tent for a gentle night light

Cossack said:
What actually goes wrong with the Cree's, I've just bought a small one :pray:
I don't know how to test the Cree. I think it is the build quality of the torches I have rather than a cree failure but i'm not sure.

I managed to fire one of them up on a separate power source but it won't work with the batteries. When they are working it seems as though the battery has to be perfect or they fail. May be down to me being a cheapskate with the ones I have bought but I am loathe to spend serious money on one.

Like Olazz hints at, some of them are just too powerful for serious use.

On the Highways we were banned from using them for fear of blinding a driver barreling down the motorway at 70 plus. I could see their point.

Richard Jackaman said:
Another vote for LED Lenser torches. Got one of these Lenser P7
Brilliant output from a small package.

Cheers

Richard

Same one that I have. Excellent piece of kit.

Hi,
I have a Tiablo A10, awesome torch, and fortunately I get a great discount at my local outdoor store. I use it every night to walk dogs and check horses, cant believe so much light comes from a small bulb

I feel seriously lacking in the torch department now :? might have to do something about that :think:

Back