Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

tow weight for a 70?

My old european spec 70 series used to tow a 3.5t 16ft ivor williams trailer full of slates very often.
It was good for a while but the welds broke on the rear cross panel.
There was a lot of flex on that part. However it was welded back on and it is still towing to this day after adding reinforcement!
I think its not what you can legally tow but how well the rear cross member is welded on! :twisted:

[quote
I think its not what you can legally tow but how well the rear cross member is welded on! :twisted:[/quote]

If you are not legal, you are not insured. If you are not insured, who is going to pay for the damage you cause when you loose control of your over weight rig.

Now which smilie do you want to stick on the end of that?

Roger

Thats why i have a hj60! What I was stating a euro spec 70 is a lightweight truck with the rear crossmember spot welded on. You would struggle to twist the rear cross member on a hj60 with a train weight of 6.4t. Strong and up for the job! :thumbup:

iwan_t24 said:
Thats why i have a hj60! What I was stating a euro spec 70 is a lightweight truck with the rear crossmember spot welded on. You would struggle to twist the rear cross member on a hj60 with a train weight of 6.4t. Strong and up for the job! :thumbup:

The rear cross member on the 70 series is seam welded.

Roger

Just had a look at your pictures on the 60 section. Nice restoration, but a look at the rear cross member indicates a similar set-up to the 70 series, except that the corner braces appear to be longer on the 70's. Also you are not using the 4 bolt set-up on the cross member for the tow hitch, so what do you connect to?

Roger

Back