Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

towing capacity

jonnyboy54321

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Guys

Am I right in saying that an LC can tow an LC on a trailer legally and safely?
I am in a right pickle - my 95 is not yet VIC tested, not happening till next week due to a VOSA c*ckup although it is ready for the road.
I have a trailer down at the yard full of scrap metal, probably about 2.5 tons to weigh in, then I need to drop a wee Peugeot off in Essex, supposed to be tomorrow.
In the meantime I've been offered another LC, a 95 non-runner that I fancy to strip (it has bits on it I want), its over the way of the Peugeot drop. The guy I usually use to move stuff is on holiday, and I can't use anyone else as there is cash to collect from the buyer anyway.
Have two other towbar'd cars - a Saab estate and a Transit - both rated less than the LC, the van is out on site tomorrow anyway.
As a last resort - thinking of hiring an LC (new one) as I am really stuck - will it be ok with a 95 on the back?
Unless anyone has any other brilliant ideas?

Guys

Am I right in saying that an LC can tow an LC on a trailer legally and safely?
I am in a right pickle - my 95 is not yet VIC tested, not happening till next week due to a VOSA c*ckup although it is ready for the road.
I have a trailer down at the yard full of scrap metal, probably about 2.5 tons to weigh in, then I need to drop a wee Peugeot off in Essex, supposed to be tomorrow.
In the meantime I've been offered another LC, a 95 non-runner that I fancy to strip (it has bits on it I want), its over the way of the Peugeot drop. The guy I usually use to move stuff is on holiday, and I can't use anyone else as there is cash to collect from the buyer anyway.
Have two other towbar'd cars - a Saab estate and a Transit - both rated less than the LC, the van is out on site tomorrow anyway.
As a last resort - thinking of hiring an LC (new one) as I am really stuck - will it be ok with a 95 on the back?
Unless anyone has any other brilliant ideas?

Hi Jonny

It depends on which LC you have, Not 100% sure but the 90/120 series you can tow 2800kgs and the 100 you can tow 3500kgs

The only way to be sure is look at the data plate, it will show four numbers, the first two are the front and back axle, the third is the cars max gross weight, and the last is the max gross train weight, so take gross car weight from train weight and this will give you your trailer weight !

where abouts are the loads going to and from?
Stu

Peugeot from Camberley GU15 to Essex SS5, then onwards (empty) to Norwich and back with LC to Camberley GU15

I had no towing problems with my 120 series, when I bought another diesel 120 series.

I hired a 4 wheel Ifor Williams car transporter, which I guess weighed about 1000kg unloaded.
Then I drove my other diesel 120 series unto it, which when empty, no fuel or any thing weighed about 1800kg.

So I estimated the all up towing weight was about 2800kg at least.
It may have been as much as 3000kg.

The diesel 120 series towed the whole lot rather well.

Fuel consumption was about 20 mpg.

Gra.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Possibly got this sorted - my local hire place do a days hire of an LC for £85 or a Hilux crewcab for £55.
May do the Hilux, save some pennies - as my trailer is full of scrap metal I could use the tub for the copper/lead/brass and leave all the steel on the trailer, will save me ages in time at the scrappie if I can sort it nicely.
Just need to track down the bloody LC owner now to see if a deal can be done lol.
Was gonna do the job tomorrow but just back after spending 6 hrs in hospital - two possible cracked ribs :(
At least it wasn't the heart attack that they were convinced it was (despite my insistence it wasn't) ....!

Last edited:
Tell me more please Greengrass? Its a one off job this but on the trailer will be a Peug 206 then a Colorado 95.

I have used that towing website many a time, I didn't this time. Bl00dy hire company said both had 3 ton capacity :(
Just as well I posted here, thanks guys.

I've had 4 hilux's the first 3 were plated to tow 2250kgs, the current one according to toyota can also tow 2250kgs but the plate says 2800kgs.
My lc feels much happier when towing near its weight limit compared with the hilux.

You can't beat a well maintained trailer when pulling those sort of weights though. I've got an ifor williams trailer which is in really good order, when its fully loaded the truck comes to a stop like its not even there. I borrow my mates and its a completely different story, gives you a good shunt every time you stop rather than pulling up smoothly. Then the brakes are a little sticky when you go to pull off again. A good indication is how far the handbrake lever comes up when applied and how easy it is to take off again.
If it comes up nearly 90degrees to the chassis chances are the brakes are out of adjustment.

Dread to think what I've towed with the hilux in the past.
Always pulls it,always gets there just not always very quickly :whistle:

So I have a 60 plate LC on hire for the day - here we are - old vs new:-
20131003_154034.jpg
A nice car indeed - nav etc reminiscent of the RX300 we once had.
We'll see what its like on the motorway tomorrow I guess :)

Should tow nicely I their 190bhp in that model, you'll hardly notice the trailer.

So I have a 60 plate LC on hire for the day - here we are - old vs new:-
View attachment 8962
A nice car indeed - nav etc reminiscent of the RX300 we once had.
We'll see what its like on the motorway tomorrow I guess :)

Hi Again

Its not if the car is able to tow but the weights that matter, you need to check the data plate for the gross train weight, and then take into account
the weight of the car you are towing it with and the weight of the trailer, and of course the load.

If you get pulled by VOSA they could confiscate the outfit and a hefty fine

I've only done a few miles in it but it seems to "shrink" around you.
Nice cabin, fairly logical layout
20131003_154016.jpg
nice big fridge armrest which I intend to abuse tomorrow
20131003_154920.jpg
Loads, and I mean loads of legroom in the back
20131003_155003.jpg
And as for the boot - 20131003_154830.jpg
It's mahoosive - with the electrically folding seats a-la Merc G Class. I will say the boot floor with the seats folded is high though. Wouldn't fancy humping cases in and out.

At this stage - lets say my numbers come up - what would I do? (remember this is before a decent drive of it) - buy one of these at this age, a Merc GL, or an Amazon?
So say a 2 yr old 40k mile LC, a 3-4 yr old 60k GL420, or a 5 yr old 60k mile Amazon 4.2.....hmmmmm
Merc has good boot with 7 seats up and they do drive nicely.
I'd buy the Amazon I think and stick a plate on it. Job done for 10 years.

As an aside, for a wee giggle, stereotyping dreadfully, have a look at this car - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../1/postcode/gu152lb/keywords/amazon?logcode=p
Do the image gallery, pic 3 ;)

Been a busy lad today:-
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...wo-what-have-I-done-!-!-!?p=370798#post370798
Impressions on the 60 plater - bouncy at low speeds around the doors.
Not the quietest thing in the world.
Once up to speed it felt superb towing, solid as a rock, even when towing a house behind (95!!). Although sluggish at say 2/0/25mph when accelerating.
But, its a hire one, only done 35k, there is a thump underneath through the drivetrain when coming to a stop from slow speeds, and the gearbox doesn't seem to know what it's doing sometimes. Can catch you out say on entering/exiting a roundabout when it seems sort-of "in two minds". Also when using cruise at 60-62mph it was up and down the 'box as soon as I hit a slight incline. It didn't feel particularly lively either, although I wasn't watching the speedo so it may have been nippy but too cossetting to tell!
What I will say is, after 9 hours in it today, I got out remarkably fresh. Airy, spacious, clever touches, ergonomically good, and the seats are superb, absolutely perfect.

Back