Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Towing strap/shackles

JonP

I am looking to get hold of a rated towing strap and shackles for use with my 150.

Can anyone recommend a supplier?

What rating strap would be recommended for towing, say, another Landcruiser out of a sticky situation? I was thinking about a 5 ton strap at least, the others seem a bit light to me.

Thanks

Jon

Damar webbing seems to be pretty popular - google them (or search on the forum) for contact info. They have an ebay shop too. I believe they will do custom orders too - in terms of length/breaking strength and colour. 5t should be ok - maybe go for 7t if you expect to be doing more hardcore recoveries. I imagine that some people here will advise you to get the heaviest duty strap going but this just adds bulk to regular load IMHO and chances are you'll remove it from the boot because it takes up too much space and thus it won't be there when you need it.

Shackles - there are quite a few ebay sellers - get tested bow shackles and you'll be fine. A popular size seems to be 4.75t from a size and strength perspective.

Cheers,

This strap here from Machine Mart http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... n-products was my primary tow/recovery strap for a long time & I still own it to this day although it's been retired to the boot of our Volvo :)

020120600.jpg

But I have to agree with Andrew that Damar webbing is the place to be getting all you need http://www.slingsandstraps.co.uk/shop/c ... %3DORTS%26

Heres my selection from Damar :D

PA010645.jpg

PA010647.jpg

PA010649.jpg

PA010648.jpg

:thumbup: for Machine Mart.

Just check you get the rated ones as they also do a cheaper range.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
depends on what you ll be doing with it. for easy stuff and road towing, 5 tonne WLL is fine, but for serious recovery of bogged vehicles, it's nowhere near enough.

eg if you're pulling out your mate and he is bogged to his axles on a 30 degree uphill slope, and for the sake of the argument his vehicle is 4 tonnes, then the actual load is:

stuck upto axle height - 2 times vehicle weight = 8 tonnes
add in 25% of the vehicles weight for each 10 degree of slope = 3 tonnes

Your total load is 11 tonnes. If you then try to recover it using a snatch strap, the force going through that strap can be 2 or 3 times that with no problem at all. If your strap has a WLL of 5 tonnes, depending on who makes it and how its made then the actual break point might be 7 tonnes (ish) or 20 tonnes (ish.

So without wishing to sound like a boring health and safety whinger, a 5 tonne WLL trap is useful for towing on tarmac, but very little else in terms of "real" recovery

I like the sound of 30 degree sloping mud. Makes a change from slopping mud. :lol:

Anyway, if he was that stuck, I'd leave him for being so daft as to get stuck in the first place. Serves him right for not paying out for a decent winch.

What you have missed out of the calculation is the effort applied by the rotation of his tyres.

That is rolling radius, squared, divided by the width of usable tread x 10.75% for each working diff locker - over the number of revs per minute transmitted to the transfer case. - 10% for each 14 degrees of incline from the horizontal.

This is further enhanced / decreased by the tow point height above / below the centre of the chassis. 1% for each cm.

Oh and the relative coefficient of the mud which is printed in the tables at http://www.mudtables.com

And the colour of the strap, naturally. Yellow ones are really cool.

Chris

Chris said:
And the colour of the strap, naturally. Yellow ones are really cool.Chris
:lol: Nice one Chris. :thumbup:

Hey, Mike - we know that. We don't take anything very seriously on here. Well clearly our own safety, but we are pretty experienced off roaders and this calculation has been done over and over and at the end of the day the only way that you can actually tell is with a strain gauge. It's like trying to calculate something from a bunch of complete unknowns. If a vehicle is completely stuck, it's actual mass has little to do with it. You aren't lifting 3 tonnes.

A steady pull is always better than a yank. The forces there are immense. But generally static straps fail in a safe way unlike wire.

No offence meant, just can't miss the opportunity for some leg pulling. And just how many people tried the mud tables link I wonder?

Chris

A couple of weeks ago on gatesgarth pass I watched a guy with a kinetic strap pull a 90 so violently that it hit a rock and tore of a trailing arm :lol: shouldn't laugh but actually it was pretty funny. The guys face was a picture :lol:

I tell you what Mike, I wouldn't want a kinetic strap to break. There is some serious energy in there. Shackles can reach quite a speed when the towing eye comes off!

Chris

Good grief, how they were all still standing at the end I really don't know....

Do you mean this one :)

[youtube:2n08um0j]HEtuO-Mh9Lg[/youtube:2n08um0j]

This is interesting though, you can actually see the Kinetic rope working :)

[youtube:2n08um0j]zeoyAa-WPR0[/youtube:2n08um0j]

we all know how dangerous recovery situations can be, particularly snatch recoveries. which is why its important to have proper recovery points, and not just rely on the towbar. :o

Towball21.jpg

Towball1.jpg

Back