Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota considering building a new generation 40 series

Rodger

Today on the Oz FRB group - 40 series Landcruiser Owners - there was a piece posted by Alistair Parr about Toyota considering building a new 40 series. Apparently true.
Alistair Parr runs a FB page called Toyota - Please build a new generation 40. He says that Toyota know about it and he has got to know several guys from Toyota Japan.

Around 12 hours ago he had an email from one of the managers suggesting that if people think it is a good idea then they should email their thoughts to: [email protected]

According to www.fourwheeler.com/7011-4wd-toyota-fj TLC have build 3 prototypes for evaluation, although the photos show that they have lengthened the cab and thereby lost some of the proportions.

True or false - I've no idea but it has certainly generated a load of interest in Oz, with loads of suggestions but the one that makes real sense (to me) is 80 running gear with a shortened frame and a 40 series (obviously widened and lengthened but in the original proportions) but whether it would meet current legislation is another question.

What do you think?

Regards,
Rodger

Today on the Oz FRB group - 40 series Landcruiser Owners - there was a piece posted by Alistair Parr about Toyota considering building a new 40 series. Apparently true.
Alistair Parr runs a FB page called Toyota - Please build a new generation 40. He says that Toyota know about it and he has got to know several guys from Toyota Japan.

Around 12 hours ago he had an email from one of the managers suggesting that if people think it is a good idea then they should email their thoughts to: [email protected]

According to www.fourwheeler.com/7011-4wd-toyota-fj TLC have build 3 prototypes for evaluation, although the photos show that they have lengthened the cab and thereby lost some of the proportions.

True or false - I've no idea but it has certainly generated a load of interest in Oz, with loads of suggestions but the one that makes real sense (to me) is 80 running gear with a shortened frame and a 40 series (obviously widened and lengthened but in the original proportions) but whether it would meet current legislation is another question.

What do you think?

Regards,
Rodger
Something on a 70 chassis maybe, then you could have long and short wheelbase options. That would be the bollocks but I don’t think it will pass front impact legislation (like the defender didn’t) which means it wouldn’t come to Europe

Reactions: Ben
Unless they have plans for a hybrid or full electric version it’ll probably not make Europe either.
The FJ Cruiser took some stying cues from the iconic 40 series and we didn’t get that one.

Fab. Unless the whole story started on April 1st ?
The link to fourwheeler.com is dead.

The question about April 1st was asked on the thread and apparently it wasn't.
The Aussies seem to be leaning towards a no frills, tough option with three different bodies - stock 40, 45 body styles and a Troopy with 4 doors plus diesel and petrol options and manual/auto options on solid axles with coils and simple electrics and none of the traction control or uphill/downhill control stuff. But most important bodypanels you can stand on - just like the originals.

It appears that Toyota acknowledge that building the FJ primarily for one market (US) was a mistake. Europe isn't the only continent with stringent construction and use rules but that surely would be Toyota's problem what they are asking is to establish whether there would be interest in seeing an iconic vehicle recreated with modern running gear.

Looking at the increasing numbers of companies in the USA in particular that are manufacturing replicas of the 40 series, that would suggest that there is a degree of interest. Given the availability of funds, what would you prefer a 40 series produced by Toyota or a replica made by a small number operation?

There is a feeling within the thread that such a model may devalue existing restored 40s but it doesn't seem to have for Minis, Fiat 500s, GT40s, etc..

However, even if they didn't get approval for sale in Europe, it would mean that a fresh supply of new body panels would become available to aid the restoration of the original ones.

Do Toyota respond to public opinion? The FJ was a design homage to the 40 that was never intended as anything more than a design exercise that shown at one of the major US auto shows. Public demand/response was such that they put it into production (12 years ago and it is still being made). I think they listen and, even if it never happens, it is worth emailing support for a new generation 40.
[email protected]

Regards,

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The whole thing with certain Toyota models not getting to Europe is hilarious in a way. Toyota simply couldn't build engines that met EU emissions regs, (hence BMW engines in some cars) an all the while everyone else was cheating..

They invented the cheat before having the regulations introduced putting the all possible competitors years behind at the stroke of a pen .

With no replacement for the LR Defender which like it or not enjoyed the lions share of the 4x4 market on a global scale for decades i do wonder how many nanny state regulations could be set aside if a new FJ40 was offered in kit form like this http://uk.caterhamcars.com/cars/self-assembly .

The cynic in me thinks there could be a huge market for mass produced kit cars in the near future simply because fixing your own car is a hobby , pastime or challenge , men the world over enjoy .

Interesting.
If Toyota do listen;
can you stop making 80s series parts NLA.
thank you..

Back