Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 Right hand drive 1978

J

jibberjabber

Just spotted this on eBay, and was toying with the idea of putting an offer in, I have zero experinence of 40's so haven't got a clue of the value, I was wondering if you 40 lads could tell me from the pictures if this is a straight FJ40 or not, I.E, any bits missing, any bits added that shouldn't be there, and so on and so forth, I haven't asked the seller any questions as of yet, just wanted your opinion first.

BTW, I have had 3 60's, 2 80's and currently a 100, so I'm not unfamiliar with Land Cruisers, but like I say never anything to do with 40's.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-L...843606?hash=item3421c4c756:g:kOYAAOSwnxxeQphW

Thanks.

I can sell you one for half that price, with the heater in the right place lol, but maybe not as tidy but more original

I can sell you one for half that price, with the heater in the right place lol, but maybe not as tidy but more original
Ah yes, I forgot about your offer, as I said I'm only toying at the mo, loads of thoughts whizzing around, the main one is where to keep it and work on it, I down sized a while ago and gave the shop to my Son and his wife, there's no room there to store and work on it, I now only have a single garage & and drive, so thats out.

My other problem is, I only like 'original' and will only fit 'after market' if 100% necessary, I suppose I'm a little OCD in that department, but not the only one:)

So at the moment it's all a pipe dream.

But, thanks David, I'll keep you in mind.

Quite a few bits changed since it came out of the factory. Eg. Seats, wheels, steering wheel, front indicators (those are off a 70 series), paint colour.....

However if all those changes appeal to you that's fine if you don't want it completely original. The most important point is to make sure there is no rust (as with any LC) and what is under that shiny paint - filler, fibre glass??

Also no pictures from under the bonnet. Often this bit is a lot less shiny! F engines are generally thirsty compared to B motors but again not an issue if it is just a toy.

Quite a few bits changed since it came out of the factory. Eg. Seats, wheels, steering wheel, front indicators (those are off a 70 series), paint colour.....

However if all those changes appeal to you that's fine if you don't want it completely original. The most important point is to make sure there is no rust (as with any LC) and what is under that shiny paint - filler, fibre glass??

Also no pictures from under the bonnet. Often this bit is a lot less shiny! F engines are generally thirsty compared to B motors but again not an issue if it is just a toy.
Thanks for your reply,

All the points you have made with regard to the wrong parts, would most definitely have to be put back to as close a pos to originaly, yes, as with most cars of that age 'rust' will be a problem to a more or less degree.

I also am disappointed that there are no pictures of 'under the bonnet' and the number plate has been rubbed out, and it's from a trader. Sorry I just can't bring myself to trust them.

It would be a toy/hobby, but I would also like it to travel to 'far off shores' if necessary.

I'm trying to get a feel for the 40 series, and what better place than from the 40 lads on the LCC could there be?

I don't think I will pursue that particular 40 on eBay, as I'm not getting a good vibe.

Edit, sorry I can see the number plate has not been rubbed out, I was looking at eBay listing for a 60 that had the NP rubbed out, my mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the gearshift pattern it has a 3 speed and the ad says 'southern hemisphere' but that is more likely to be Asia and not Oz. 3 speed were fitted in some, classed as General Classification, up to 82, but Oz had 4 speed boxes fitted.
If you are going to talk with the dealer get the VIN number, photo and text, and then, between us, we should be able to tell you more.
Also I don't think Mr T fitted PS for any market in '78 and certainly not on GC 40s.

IMO there is a load more to learn about this before viewing it, let alone parting with £s.

Regards,

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
From the gearshift pattern it has a 3 speed and the ad says 'southern hemisphere' but that is more likely to be Asia and not Oz. 3 speed were fitted in some, classed as General Classification, up to 82, but Oz had 4 speed boxes fitted.
If you are going to talk with the dealer get the VIN number, photo and text, and then, between us, we should be able to tell you more.
Also I don't think Mr T fitted PS for any market in '78 and certainly not on GC 40s.

IMO there is a load more to learn about this before viewing it, let alone parting with £s.

Regards,

Rodger
Thanks Rodger,

All the replies are being 'taken on board' and are most helpful and welcomed.

Thanks Rodger,

All the replies are being 'taken on board' and are most helpful and welcomed.

I thought 3 speeds were phased out in all markets around 1973? Prior to that I think all markets had them, even Oz. But not so sure why it would be on a 1978!

My 1979 Australian one has a 4 speed box no power steering front disc brakes and a 3B engine

Yes Snowbound you are right for the major markets the 3 speed was phased out around '73 with Oz getting the 4 speed first but the 3 speed was retained in General Classification market ( not major designated markets) vehicles until '82. Source The LC Legend.
GC markets appear to be Asian and African countries obvious;y excluding Japan.

@David That is interesting that you have discs on an Oz '79...

Regards,

Rodger

FJ40 by the engine description (4.2 straight 6)

Rego is VRL894S by the looks of it

As others have said, there's a lot not right with it, but some of those are usability improvements (seats, indicators)

Again, just a thought,

Would it be to much of a tall order to find a 40 that didn't need any welding, I would't mind if it has been welded, and I wouldn't mind doing anything else to it, I doubt if there are many left that haven't been welded somewhere.

Although I am very capable of welding, I just don't want to, and the old bones are telling me not to, also, like I said, I'll have to find a space to store and restore.

Many thanks for all your thoughts so far.

Hi have a look in the 40s series on page 3 fj40 for sale looks good you have to love a 40s from Tony.

Back