Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota to kill off 70 Series

We all knew the 70 will be killed off one day, but what is surprising is Toyota will not have a replacement for it :thumbdown:

There may also be financial incentives to not replace the 70 as there is more profit to be made in selling Hiluxes and parts for Hiluxes

I don't think the G class will last much longer

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What's all the fuss about? They're "probably" ending 70 production in Aus, almost certainly the single cab. They have said as long as there's still a market for any model they will keep providing for it, and Australia isn't the only market either ;) Don't look so glum!

So after reports last year that Toyota were looking at a replacement for the 70. :dance:

http://www.motoring.com.au/new-toyota-70-series-under-study-39967/

Its now looking less likely. :thumbdown:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...ints-at-end-of-production-for-land-cruiser-70

So for the first time in over 60 years Toyota wont be producing a tough live axle LandCruiser. :icon-cry:

Which is a major blow to the 4wd world, especially after Nissan have just announced production of their live axle Y61 Patrol will end this year and wont be replaced either.

They will instead keep their much bigger and weaker gas guzzling Y62.

http://www.motoring.com.au/patrol-diesel-coming-to-an-end-43693/

Obviously LandRover are killing off the Defender which means Toyota, Nissan and LandRover wont have a single tough live axled 4wd on sale! :angry-screaming:

So if you want a new tough live axled 4wd your left with 3 choices......................

Suzuki Jimny, great fun cars and awesome off road but far too small for anything other than a weekend away for 2 people so not really suitable for over landing.

Jeep Wrangler, not a bad vehicle and heaps of extras available for them but like LandRover, their not the most reliable or strongest of vehicles.

Mercedes G Wagon, easily the toughest and possibly the coolest out of the 3 and the only one with 3 diff locks as standard. But sadly out of most peoples price range, especially as its now being marketed more as a luxury status symbol vehicle rather than a tough working 4wd. :think:

Maybe Toyota will surprise us all with a replacement for the 70, but I will be very surprised if that happens! :pray:

So a truly sad day in the world of Tough 4wd's and the last remaining tough Toyota! :icon-cry:

Last edited:
There's no doubt fully independent suspension i.e.. non live axles, is superior both off road and on. It just needs to be made tough enough but it can be done. I think manufacturers have stuck with live axles for so long because they're simpler and cheaper to produce. With more and more big 4x4's being aimed more at the luxury end of the market the better ride comfort & handling of fully IS makes sense and continuing production of old tech live axle vehicles for limited markets probably doesn't. JMO

For overlanding and road use I agree, but not for serious off road use.

I'm yet to see an independent suspension vehicle with anywhere near the amount of articulation that you can easily get from a live axle 4wd! :icon-smile:

I'm also yet to see a vehicle with IS that can carry big loads which as a commercial vehicle the 70 is built for. :think:

Last edited:
For the latest news that I have read (2016), the LC will have some modifications made so that it meets the 4 star safety requirements of the mining sector. Lateral airbags, cruise control, and stability control. Its not as dramatic as one could think, and if that is all that's required, I can't imagine why they would kill it off. And if Toyota did, what could the mines replace it with? Land Rover, Amarok? LOL
Martin

I think total chaos IFS gives about 14 inches of travel and seeing those trucks jump i have no doubts about strength . Trouble is the cost of about $5000 dollars when i inquired a couple of years ago - then import duties and shipping and whatnot .

That's why i think solid axles are the preference for modifiers , but they don't build cars just so they can be modified by a tiny minority .

Back