Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyoyta Landcruiser 2.4Ltrr Turbo Diesel

Peter Barry

Country Flag
malta
Hi All,

I'm Peter and have just acquired a landcruiser T/Diesel 2.4 with a stalling problem.
It starts well and runs well without troubles until 10 minutes from cold it knocks and then stalls. It starts again with little hassle.....also when running and then knocking...if one puts the gas pedal to the carpet...it picks up again without stalling.
I look forward to you all experience Landcruiser owners. Your experiences of this fault is much appreciated. PS. The engine never reachs working temperature-only warm, hence I eliminated the over-heating option. Many Thanks All.

Check for any fuel leaks as any holes let air in. Try pumping the priming pump on top of the fuel filter to put a bit of pressure in and you may see some leakage. Also check all electrical connectors to do with the fuel cut solenoid on the pump. Look for any sign of corrosion or poor connections.

This is just general troubleshooting BTW, I haven't had the problem and don't have a 2.4.

Also worth checking fuel filters, if you've recently changed the fuel filter under the bonnet, (did I read that you had somewhere?) make sure it's hand tight and if the problem persists then run off a can of diesel into the fuel filter to eliminate any other fuel line/filter issues.

Good luck with it, there's plenty of people on here with lots of knowledge. Welcome BTW. Have a look for the 'introduce yourself ' info and, well, give a bit of info while introducing yourself and I expect more help will pitch up.

Last edited:
Hi StarCruiser,

Many Thanks for your assistance, will look into the fuel-cut solenoid, I understand that this lies within the injection pump.
the fuel filter is new, so will need to do a process by elimination, i'd say from the easiest chore to the most complicated in that sequence....to reach a structured solution. your points of checking contacts for corrosion makes sense, thanks again.
Re: Intro-info is there something I've missed here ?

2015614011300.jpg

Re: Intro-info is there something I've missed here ?

Hi Peter, I think there's an 'introduce yourself' thread somewhere with a template on it. I missed it when I arrived as I'm using Tapatalk on my phone so don't get to see the full site like you do on a PC. It's just worth doing that and putting some info about you and your truck on the profile so the guys here have something to work with…which reminds me I really must get around to doing that myself sometime. [emoji6]
Doesn't seem to have done me any harm though I did do an intro of my own.

Nice looking truck BTW.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back