Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Trans European Trail

MarkW

Country Flag
morocco
Just came across this on the Hubb, a 34000km off road trans European route :D

http://www.transeurotrail.org/

Its split up into pages for each country detailing the route with .gpx download, expected duration, best time of year, contacts (they have local linesmen looking after the route), rules on wild camping and off road driving.

It seems to be mainly aimed at adventure bikes but I'm sure a cruiser would do just as well.

I've also been looking at this for a while. Would certainly make a good trip.....

it would be great to be able to drive one end to the other! must win lotto............

Been looking through some of the photos on the Facebook page, some of it looks tough for the small light bikes so maybe not quite so cruiser friendly yet!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
How good would it be if it was advertised as " bring your own chainsaw and shovel because making roads will be necessary" :cool:

The UK section seems to be, to my rather uneducated eye, to be mostly 4x4 friendly....

Well someone has asked if its suitable for 4x4's or if suitable sections are marked as such........the response from the bikers shows a very very poor attitude and at least on dig at Landcruiser owners being the worst :(

Well someone has asked if its suitable for 4x4's or if suitable sections are marked as such........the response from the bikers shows a very very poor attitude and at least on dig at Landcruiser owners being the worst :(

Part of the route goes past my village. Some very odd choices of route in Shropshire/North Wales. Lots of burning fuel for the sake of it.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as we're likely to drive some large sections of this through Eastern Europe next year. I've been looking at the trails and cross-referencing with Wikiloc - most are suitable for a 4x4. There's definitely a few that might be tricky and some sections that are impossible due to size restrictions but otherwise it looks good. And we'll be towing a trailer!

The countries we're going through and trails I'm looking at are Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Albania, Greece, Bulgaria and Romania.

If anyone has driven any of these sections I'd been keen to hear your thoughts.

Hadn't seen this before but part of the trail runs very close to where I live and ride a mountain bike. The 20-25 miles off road shown I know well is generally illegal for motorbikes, although you see a few around having manhandled their bikes over the barriers designed to allow horses but prevent motorbikes. The trails would be fine to drive along but you'd need a cordless grinder and a few batteries to get through the barriers.

Hadn't seen this before but part of the trail runs very close to where I live and ride a mountain bike. The 20-25 miles off road shown I know well is generally illegal for motorbikes, although you see a few around having manhandled their bikes over the barriers designed to allow horses but prevent motorbikes. The trails would be fine to drive along but you'd need a cordless grinder and a few batteries to get through the barriers.

Rob, in which country do you live, your sig says UK...? I’m not into driving any trail that is illegal.

Rob, in which country do you live, your sig says UK...? I’m not into driving any trail that is illegal.

Wales.

You wouldn't accidentally drive on these. Their legal status is well sign posted. They have heavy metal barriers to block cars, although they are sometimes open if there is forestry work in progress. Doesn't mean they're open at the other end, and when the forestry guys go home they lock the gates, so you could be stuck there. It's generally possible to get motor bikes on there; I sometimes get to enjoy a couple of minutes of dust and stones as they come past me in a line when I'm on my mountain bike.

Not many tracks you are allowed to drive on in South Wales. A few bits of the Sarn Helen road, and a few short tracks scattered randomly.

Back