Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transfercase viscous coupling

Jake the Peg

Country Flag
scotland
I think my viscous coupling has seized and after reading a bit on mud last night I probably looking to just remove it, but whether I try to find a replacement I’m not sure, that’s where I turn to you guys, what’s your options on losing it or finding another, even finding another?
Thanks

Ahh sorry to hear that. Personally I'd hate to lose it. it's what makes the 80 different. I had a GS with no VC and I could feel the difference. I fitted a different box and prop. I beleive I still have the old box and prop in the unit. I understand that you can just pull the old can out and drive without it without having to swap the box. The chances of getting another VC? Not impossible I'd say given the numbers of transfer boxes there must be lying around.

They may still be available from Toyota although I priced one up a few years ago and they were well over £1k.

I knew all along there was issues with the driveline, but stumbled across a viscous coupling thread looking for something else last night, I guess The PO never thought too much about it as most of the time he was in his fields so the soft terrain wouldn’t have made it so noticeable. I took the front prop off today and it’s so much nicer, so will try to get a break from this weeks home schooling and remove the coupling, refit the prop and see how we get on. I’ll probably start looking for a transfer box and see what turns up.
Thanks to Chris (and Santa) for the EFS recommendation, it’s now fitted and it’s made a transformation to the truck. Have a UJ to do on the rear prop as well, slowly ticking the jobs away, and one day it will be a half decent drive!!

thanks

Anyone know if the transfer case on 100mis the same as the 80? May be easier to find ?

thanks

J

Taking the can out isn't difficult but if you split the rear housing off in situ, just be careful as there's a little oil pump drive widget that you need to look out for.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There is a post on here going back to 2010, But it wont copy and paste for some reason... (viscous coupling in transfer case).... Dont know if you've seen it or is of any help..

Thanks Higgy, I’ll have a read of it. Will order some oil tomorrow and try to get it done soon

It's road driving the VC was fitted for. That's why a mechanical DL was also fitted for driving off road. It's basically just gives the centre diff similar performance to a LSD. Certainly comes into it's own on snow covered roads.

Was Out for some lockdown exercise today, driving the truck without the front prop is horrible, and embarrassing in the forestry car park when it started spinning up on some loose ground. The wee mans schooling might have to suffer tomorrow so I can go to the workshop!

And yet we still get people asking if it's possible to convert the 80 to rear wheel drive only to save fuel. I've driven one with no front prop and no diff, half shafts etc for a few months and it was like wrestling a drunk pig. especially in the wet on a roundabout. The 80 is designed to be full time 4x4. It's a quality thing unlike some other brands .....

I’d rather put up with the locked driveline, skipping and chirping tyres than drive it rwd only. It really is nasty!

I'd put that down to the steering. The geometry and the power assistance have been designed for permanent 4wd and driven front wheels. You can't just remove drive to the front axle and expect the thing to handle and feel the same IMO.

the 80 came as part time 4x4 in some markets.
h4 switch.jpeg

Yes it did. Not entirely sure if they weren't fitted with a transfer box with no diff in there like the 105.

For some reason the photo looks like I’ve been doing this on Mars, and yes I need a mega tidy up but home schooling takes most of my free time... well the VC has now departed the building, it was rock solid and the truck is now a joy to drive! My front diff is knackered and is going to need a rebuild, I’ll just add that to the list!
Was an easy job, especially being on the ramp, and definitely worthwhile. I’ll see how it behaves once I put a miles on it
3F8B8E2F-AB61-40EA-9A84-D0646C321261.jpeg

That's the sucker. What's the story with the front diff then?

Chris, it’s got about 15-20deg free play when you remove the prop, I’m not surprised after the abuse it’s succumbed to with the locked up VC. Who knows how long it was like that, speaking to the PO it’s been quite a long time, and combined with lack of maintenance (and oil) you could see wear on the crown wheel when I went to swap the axle casing.

cheers

Back