Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transmission brake conundrum

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
This thread got me thinking..... great idea and I'm sure it will do the job but...

Is it not just doing what the 'P' does in an auto... a mechanical means of locking the transmission? Obviously the X-Eng set up will be handbrake operated though.

What is the point of the 'P' position?

H Paul

IIRC it drops a pin or has a pawl through that locks the output shaft of the transmission preventing movement.

Also, I don't think Mr MOT man will accept 'P' as a handbrake, so if the conversion works as well as expected it will get you through the MOT :thumbup:

adrianr said:
H Paul

IIRC it drops a pin or has a pawl through that locks the output shaft of the transmission preventing movement.
Yeah Aid I know what it does mechanically.... but what is the point?

Cossack said:
Also, I don't think Mr MOT man will accept 'P' as a handbrake, so if the conversion works as well as expected it will get you through the MOT :thumbup:
I doubt he would either Chas, even though it does stop the wheels from moving... and more than the 18% efficiency required by the 'rule book' too :D

have you seen the size of the pawl?

it's a tiny piece of metal to hold back upwards of 7 tonnes when laden (admittedly its what i use, but on a hill when full i do feel more than a litte nervous). Have seen a parking brake on a classic range rover fail- it caused a fair bit of carnage before it stopped!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
pugwash said:
have you seen the size of the pawl?

it's a tiny piece of metal to hold back upwards of 7 tonnes when laden (admittedly its what i use, but on a hill when full i do feel more than a litte nervous). Have seen a parking brake on a classic range rover fail- it caused a fair bit of carnage before it stopped!
I had one fail on a Volvo 264 V6 Auto, we were on a relatively flat car park at the time too :doh: luckily I was in the car at the time so the the result being only a rebuilt gearbox was needed.

I must admit I wouldn't rely on the 'P' in my LC on anything other than flat ground, so..... what is the point of the 'P' position? On my JDM import, I can't even take the keys out of the ignition until 'P' is selected.

Has Park always been on auto boxes or was it added at a later date? I'm not asking about Toyota gearboxes but auto boxes in general.

All the auto boxes I've ever played with have had a P

The one on my CJ 7 must be strong it will lock the back wheels at 70 and continue to function perfectly afterwards :shock:

I expect the P is there as a auto box has the issue of there being no mechanical connection from the engine to the axle unlike a manual box which can be left in gear and the engine used as a "brake"

I don't know how strong Yota P clutches are but landy ones brake with very little effort

Back