Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Troubleshooting air vents

Jacob100

Supporter
Another minor niggle. The top vent between the driver’s door and the steering wheel on my 1998 100 is not blowing at all when set to FEET ONLY (obvs) or FACE ONLY or FACE/FEET or DEMIST/FEET but it will give out a small trickle of hot air when in DEMIST ONLY.

All other vents and heating functions work 100%. I don’t use AC.

Where’s the best place to start checking? I’ve never had to go anywhere near heaters and fans in any other cars I’ve owned so I’m in the dark on this one.

Another minor niggle. The top vent between the driver’s door and the steering wheel on my 1998 100 is not blowing at all when set to FEET ONLY (obvs) or FACE ONLY or FACE/FEET or DEMIST/FEET but it will give out a small trickle of hot air when in DEMIST ONLY.

All other vents and heating functions work 100%. I don’t use AC.

Where’s the best place to start checking? I’ve never had to go anywhere near heaters and fans in any other cars I’ve owned so I’m in the dark on this one.
If you 98 is anything like my 04 there are no such things as leavers and rods, like the old days, for the heater controls, it's all done with servos receiving signals from the buttons you touch then moving flaps to direct the air flow, so what happnes is the servos pack up and the flaps are then unable to move. This is my theory and I might stick to it.:laughing-rolling:

BTW, does you A/C work, blow cool air?

This pic is only an example, and may not be exactly for your LC

Screenshot 2020-02-15 at 11.42.56.png

Nope. Bought it knowing it needed fixing but it’s not been a priority. Never had AC so don’t miss it.
when you touch the buttons for screen, face or feet, do you hear any noises behind the dash, try it with the ignition on but no engine running, in other words when it's quiet so that you can hear for something trying to move or a clicking/ticking noise.

Check that the trunking is connected under the dash from the heater body to the vent, it sounds like you are loosing some air along the way.

when you touch the buttons for screen, face or feet, do you hear any noises behind the dash, try it with the ignition on but no engine running, in other words when it's quiet so that you can hear for something trying to move or a clicking/ticking noise.

No, all smooth and quiet.

Check that the trunking is connected under the dash from the heater body to the vent, it sounds like you are loosing some air along the way.

Will try to get under there once this storm has died off.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Coward, you might aswell get wet, this storms never gona end, never end. :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

Good Luck.

Bit of a thread hijack, but is there a warm air vent in the driver's feet? There is one that works as a balls chiller under the steering wheel when AC running on cold. But when trying to heat up there is no warm air coming from anywhere down there. There is a pretty strong warm blower at passenger's feet.
All other vents in the car blow hot/cold as expected.

Bit of a thread hijack, but is there a warm air vent in the driver's feet? There is one that works as a balls chiller under the steering wheel when AC running on cold. But when trying to heat up there is no warm air coming from anywhere down there. There is a pretty strong warm blower at passenger's feet.
All other vents in the car blow hot/cold as expected.
Not a hijack at all, as far as I'm concerned :)

Yep, there’s a warm air outlet for the driver footwell, I think the testicular blower should blow warm to, sounds like you’ve got servo distribution flap problems as well.

Or a blockage of some other description. Dead Rat or Pigeon :laughing-rolling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back