Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Truck Security

SimonD

Country Flag
australia
Getting a bit disturbed by the number of slightly dodgy people knocking on the door and asking to buy the truck - don't seem to be private buyers and the truck isn't for sale. Wanted to asked what security over and above the usual Thatcham alrm/immobilisers are people all using.

For example, are wheel clamps a waste of money [although i'd expect to hear an angle grinder on the drive]? For big wheels they are quite expensive. Happy to hear others thoughts but i'm conscious of the number of trucks being bought up and heading to Africa.

If it is a sensitive but cunning security measure that shouldn't be broadcast please dm me :whistle:

The most effective thing from a starting the truck perspective is a big red battery master key like they use on boats
If they can't get it running, they are pretty big things to push far

If it was me, I'd initially consider CCTV to see if you are getting oddballs casing the vehicle. I've been looking at the VGuard system for police approved clarity of pictures for faces and reg numbers.

http://www.cctvfirst.co.uk/vguard-pc-ba ... 72769.html

They do full systems or you can build your own with their DVR cards

I'm not that convinced with vehicle trackers as the pro's seem to be able to disable or block the signal from working, if its a drive off you want to stop then an anti theft fuel stop valve covertly fitted could work. If its someone with a recovery truck literally looking to drag the vehicle off the drive then maybe some heavy duty post in the ground under the vehicle and a security tempered heavy duty chain around the chassis would make it a PITA to consider stealing, but that would equally be a PITA if it's your daily drive.

Heard some good things about pedal locks.

In Russia, the Multi-lock system that locks off the gear lever through the transmission tunnel is very popular especially on hire cars.

If I'm unsure in an area i usually pull the fuse for the fuel cut off, (panel near your right leg) and slide the 4x4 hi low selector into neutral as well.

overnight once when i was most unhappy to find a screw driver left in the drivers door lock i took the drivers seat out, the steering wheel and both front wheels and left her on axle stands until the security gating was repaired where i was staying. ott i know but there you go.
got more suggestions to but not in an open forum.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gav Peter said:
adrianr said:
I'll have a cc on that PM dude!!! :lol:
Me too please Adrian, I can't get mine into the garage at the moment so it's parked in front of the house, it does have an alarm but I'd feel safer with something extra. :pray:

Gav Peter said:
adrianr said:
I think muxley is safe dude..... No one would want that :whistle:

Yeah! mine is er, how shall I put it, 'cosmetically challenged' :lol: but probably worth a small fortune in parts.

Cossack said:
Gav Peter said:
adrianr said:
Me too please Adrian, I can't get mine into the garage at the moment so it's parked in front of the house, it does have an alarm but I'd feel safer with something extra. :pray:

Me too please. Mine is always parked on the road outside the house.

Funny, it was only Saturday I had some fella approach me while I was sorting out the rear heater pipes, asking whether I was selling.... :|

Hi all

Sorry fellas, what I did additionally was not something I'd encourage so I'll not be pmg you.

Btw fitting an old school switch to the fuel cut off relay and hiding it behind the dash works really well, cheap too.

Oh go on, I won't tell. :silent:

Fitting a hinged metal flap to floor that you secure over pedals with a padlock always struck me as a winner as well.

TonyP said:
Gav Peter said:
adrianr said:
I think muxley is safe dude..... No one would want that :whistle:
Ooo, you biatch... :lol:

chadr said:
Funny, it was only Saturday I had some fella approach me while I was sorting out the rear heater pipes, asking whether I was selling....
Never happened to me (even before I made Mr Muxley look like a beater...) but I would find it unsettling to say the least...

every time i'm working on my cruiser i get at least one person ask whether i'm selling. i'm starting to get a bit uncomfortable about it now.

its been at least 6 people in the last week :(

I read on the landcruiser club SA page that one guy had installed a shut off valve in the fuel line. It was hidden under the truck and he would just turn it off when parked.

Don't know if that's the kind of solution you are looking for?

Back