Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tunisia

wobbly

Garage
I wonder how yesterdays terrorist murders of tourists will impact on people thinking of overlanding in Tunisia?

Peronsonally it would make no difference to me, tourist attractions in any country are always a potential target for the nutters in the world

Despite all the tensions across the world at the moment the interwebs are full of overlanders trip reports through Libya, Iran, Afganistan etc,

Don't let the loonies stop you

I find it slightly ridiculous the stopping of all the tours. There were shootings in Paris, people still go there, there have been murders in London, people still go there. I suppose the only difference is on this occassion tourists appear to have been specifically targeted, but I would rather not be intimidated by it.

time for a cheap holiday:thumbup:

Been to Tunisia. Hated it. Really didn't have a good experience. Wouldn't go back, nothing to do with terrorism. Mind you they did blow up the Hotel Sahara Beach the same week we left.

Wouldn't worry me nowhere is as dangerous as a western city after dark!! Except for an actual warzone.

Jeez compared to South Africa that's positively as safe as anywhere else. The stuff that goes on there that you don't hear about because it's become 'normal' - I reckon the Gaza Strip is probably safer ...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sunday 29 March 2015, AM
News item no. 3 on News24 today [already relegated to "second column"]

Johannesburg - A section of the N3 south in Modderfontein has been blocked off completely after three SA police service officers were shot at by unknown suspects, the Johannesburg metro police department said on Sunday."Three SAPS members were shot. One apparently in the head, another in the leg and the other in the leg," spokesperson Edna Mamonyane said. She said the N3 between Linksfield and London Road had been closed off as it was a crime scene.
She urged motorists to use alternative routes.

The motive of the shooting was not known. The suspects fled in a Mercedes Benz which was found abandoned not far from the scene. "They then hijacked another vehicle," she said.

--------- Now this is a couple blocks from my mate's house.
Apparently [not mentioned in the above report] a police car stopped a vehicle on the highway, one of the busiest in the country, routine 'stop n search' - unbeknown to them another vehicle stopped behind them and opened fire. Occupants of the stopped vehicle opened fire as well. The police vehicle received fire from both front and back. No robbery or crime related - just murder. Sadly police are all respected members who worked closely with the local 'block watch'.

This was really shocking - And we drove that road yesterday at lunch time.
The highway remained closed for pretty much the entire day.

Have a look at this windscreen. [ o - yes, it was a sunny day LOL !!!]

So between flying in Europe, visiting museums in northern Africa, being top the F1 driver, a media mogul in Paris, or a Top Gear presenter - life presents its challenges wherever we are !!!

IMG-20150329-WA0001_zpsyewdm66s.jpg

IMG-20150329-WA0002_zpsqmbjniw9.jpg

IMG-20150329-WA0003_zpsuqcv8xy8.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20150329-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20150329-WA0001.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 123
My sister in law was caught up in that today. The place was jam packet. Poor chaps.

I was suprised when in SA recently to be sat watching an extremely violent(as they are) Quentin Tarrantino film in the early evening (about 7) with none of the violence edited out, but all the swearing, even the minor stuff, dubbed out, which as you can imagine with a Tarrantino film did disturb the flow somewhat!!

It seemed a very bizzare indication of what a culture considers reasonable for young children to potentially see and what people might find offensive!!

It's ok to torture someone or blow someones head off or have them ripped apart alive by dogs, and show it on TV, but just don't swear while your doing it!!!

Welcome to sunny South Africa where thousands of people are murdered annually and no-one cares too much because violence is a way of life :(

Back