Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Twin air pump installation

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Dissatisfied with the speed of a single pump, I have upgraded and bought another VIAIR 400C. These on board systems are all pretty small, mostly around 2.5 cfm which isn't much. The 400C gives 2.54 cm at 0 psi. In other words when not under load. Fine for an air blow gun or something, but as with all these things you need to look at the delivery as the pressure ramps up. It's actually just like electricity really. And, just as with cable, the bigger the pipe the more air flows down it. Pressure on these pumps (150 psi) is pretty good so there's plenty of push.

What I have done is run each pump into the tank on a separate line. The standard airline is 6mm OD 4mm ID. So this would double to 8mm. But not content with that, I have managed to open this out to 10mm OD 7mm ID. I never timed it with 6mm and one pump, but the 2.5 gallon tank now fills in 1 m 15 sec. That's pretty fast. The true test is to fill a tyre. I took the valve stem out and flattened a tyre completely, on the vehicle. These are 285.75.16 (33") so quite some volume in there.

This is what happened. From a full tank, I was at 20 psi in 60 seconds. I let the pump run for a minute and opened the chuck again and in another 60 seconds I was at 40 psi. So 3 mins to 40 psi from zero. Of course I still had air in the tank when I stopped, so it could have been faster. Twiddling around, I felt that with the tank empty, there was clearly more straight through air delivery then with the original set up. Well so there should be really. But the tank tends to act as an accumulator and you don't get out what you put in as the resistance in the air nozzles, blow guns etc tends to back up and pressure in the tank starts to build sapping the flow at the end.

What I am contemplating now is upgrading the delivery side of the tank to the pcl couplings to 7mm as well. The real issue was getting the tank to fill more quickly rather than getting the air out of it faster, but hey, why not go for both?

The tank gives you that flexibility to do something else whilst the compressor is still running, where without it, you need to stop the pump or chance busting something. Many are not designed to run with back pressure for very long.

Well look, it keeps me happy and off the drugs.

Twinpumps.jpg

Here's the pumps just on a board at the moment. I have to build in the drawer system first so that I can put them behind the middle seats. Until then they'll do like this. Got proper cable to them and a nice big relay. I will but a switch in line too so that I can knock the pumps off when I don't need them. They tend to tick in and out as the air gradually leaks which of course does drain the battery.

Chris

Looks good.

What else do you plan to use it for? I'm just considering compressor(s) for mine and apart from tyre inflation am looking for another reason to have one.

That is really good chris.

What kind of money does it cost to get a set up like you have now then?

Been thinking about onboard air since went up to the lakes and aired tyres down.

karl

Air beds, lilos, blowing out air filters etc plus with the envisaged CFM I'd like to get a wheel gun if I can.

It's not for topping up tyres here and there of course it's for when I go off road and air my tyres down to 15 psi. When it takes ages to blow them back up, I find I'm less inclined to bother to let the air out of them in the first place.

If I get a plasma cutter at some time then I can use the air on the truck instead of having to buy a workshop compressor too. Having air is always handy for blasting crud and stuff off components like brakes.

Karl - oh only pennies mate. Cough. You can do this a lot cheaper if you go with a T Maxx or something and you can get a tank pretty cheap. I like the VIAIR stuff and I figure that whilst, yes, we get robbed in this country for everything, they wouldn't be this expensive without some good reason. I've had cheaper pumps and they generally don't last. Having said that the T Maxx things looks really good.

Chris

cracking set up Chris :clap: :clap:

I have a twin cylinder T Max compressor and a small truck air tank thats going under mine, The VIAIR compressors are very tough, we use them at work and have very few problems but they are proper money

Even with discount they are still too many pennies for me and thats even after having Matt Savage and his Mog at our last pay and play day :roll:

Matt's just around the corner from me so I dropped in to see him. He always gives me a good price I have to say. But cheap they are not, no.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The big T-max single one is 5.3 cfm when I worked it out last year. One day I will get around to removing my aircon and fitting the York pump I have. The York is 9.1cfm at 1200rpm.

Paul

Looks great Chris, will the compressors not vibrate on that board??

Not really but as I said it's just a test board. That's not how they will be in the vehicle. They are mounted on insulated feet by the way. They aren't nailed to the board.

Paul, 5.3 cfm? At what pressure? Have you got the figures for the 'under load ratings' Pushing 5 cfm at 40 psi would be off the scale. 5.4cfm at zero psi, which is the base line figure often quoted is next to useless unless you just want to blow the cobwebs away. do you have a link for this compressor, they do sound pretty good.

Now the York is a different thing altogether.

Chris

Chris said:
..........do you have a link for this compressor, they do sound pretty good
That'll be the T-Max Adventurer that he speaks of :)

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8804

PA180677.jpg

160 lpm @ 0psi (5.65cfm) :)

70 lpm @ 30psi (2.47cfm) :)

With a continuously rated duty cycle of 30 minutes :thumbup:

Blew my old 265/75/16's up from 0 to 30psi in 1min 50sec & from 18 to 30psi in just 55sec :thumbup:

T'was only £90 and I love mine :D

Hi Steven,
Where did you find the best prices for the TMax?

G.

Yes Steve, that is the one. based on the ones Chris has, but this is the upgrade from their ones.

Paul

Graham said:
Where did you find the best prices for the TMax?
I bought mine from here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T-Max-Air-compres ... 4aa54e2591 on eBay on the basis that he is just down the road from me should I have any problems :)

You do have to be a little carefull that you are buying the correct one though as the 160/70lpm Adventurer is T-Max's latest offering alongside its smaller brother the 72/50lpm Taipan, but I've noticed that sellers are now calling the 'Taipan' the Adventurer aswell :naughty: :)

Back