Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyre cracks

Knucklehead

Suspect I know the answer to this bit thought would ask anyhow.

Was checking over the cruiser for its MOT next week and noticed that 2 of my 4 Mickey Thompson tyres have developed hairline cracks near the rim.

4 years old with plenty of tread and the rest of the tyre is sound. Oddly only showing on two tyres.

As these tyres are no longer available in Europe in my size I am reluctant to bin them but safety comes first.

So wondering if anybody else has had similar show up on their tyres and are they better in the bin?

Cheers,
Dave.
IMG_0422.JPG

I believe this usually happens due to age and lack of use.....I know you've had them for 4 years but do you know when the tyres were manufactured?

I'm sure someone who knows a bit more will be along shortly..... ;-)

Just had a look and ‘3313’ stamped on them so 2013 manufactured if understand the markings.

Cruiser used as DD so seems more likely age than lack of use.

Odd only showing on 2 of them. If could get replacements then wouldn’t even think about it but thanks to EU that is no longer possible.

Guess wondering if these cracks are just superficial on heavy built muddies.

The rear tyres on Lynn’s space star were Avons and were getting low but still had a few thousanc in them. I looked them over earlier this year and they were fine. During June in the hot weather she got a puncture and called me. When I looked, both the Avon’s were badly cracked, far worse than that and I decided to have new tyres rather than get the puncture fixed. I was most surprised to see the inside wall like New. I reckon the sun had caused them to deteriorate.

Are yours on the same side and often parked facing the sun?

Living in NI it is more likely damage from damp than sun!

Rotate opposite corners every 6 months so not sure if damaged on same side. Used a lot off road so maybe damaged then.

Carrying the young fella about I can’t really take any chances. Only choice now is fitting STTs with their K speed rating. Utter Bollocks.

Cheers for thoughts anyhow. Will be interested to see what MOT man says next week as new set won’t be here in time.

Dave.

Suspect I know the answer to this bit thought would ask anyhow.

Was checking over the cruiser for its MOT next week and noticed that 2 of my 4 Mickey Thompson tyres have developed hairline cracks near the rim.

4 years old with plenty of tread and the rest of the tyre is sound. Oddly only showing on two tyres.

As these tyres are no longer available in Europe in my size I am reluctant to bin them but safety comes first.

So wondering if anybody else has had similar show up on their tyres and are they better in the bin?

Cheers,
Dave.
View attachment 149805
I had something similar with cooper STTs but the cracking was around the tread blocks on the sidewall.It was a quality control issue due , IIRC a change in the quality of materials use in tyre fabrication at the time , something to do with the petrochemical ingredients.Mine were about 3 years old maybe??? But well out of guarantee.the first response from Cooper was a no to replacement but with a bit of polite persistence 4 X new STTs were sent to Spain FOC I think my post was call "a result from Cooper tyres" worth an email to the manufacturer?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Unfortunately mine are Mickey Thompson MTZs which are no longer sold in Europe. I believe Cooper now own them.

I’ve sent emails to Cooper UK and Mickey Thompson tech department. Not in the hope of replacement as 5 years old but more to find out if seen as superficial.

Now with your experience of STTs block failures i am even more reluctant to get rid of my Mickey Ts. Best tyre I’ve had both on and off road. Even looked into bringing set in from US but costs are mad.

Dave.

The michelin front tyres on my 2013 car have crazed sidewalls, worse than on yours. They 2/3 worn but are noisey, bumpy and I suspect not very grippy anymore. The cracks are not an mot failure though, I would keep them on if they were not noisey and bumpy, but I am going to change them!

Yeah Richard, no complaints that way about them. Still drive great. Was more a concern if possible safety issues with family in the motor. Blow outs and the likes.

If forced to replace with STTs then will get a spare set of wheels and continue to thrash them off road.

Will see what Mickey T tech come back with as hoping being such a strong construction they are still sound.

Cheers.

Don’t worry too much about the K speed rating. I contacted Cooper Tyres about this as their website still showed Q rating and I was told it is simply to satisfy EU noise regulations. The tyres are exactly the same. Bit annoyed they don’t import the STT Maxx just the pro but the Pros I have hold the road well and aren’t overly noisy. They are pretty heavy though. They’re due for a workout tomorrow. :)

On a smaller scale I’ve just had to replace the caravan tyres after finding deep cracks where the tread meets the sidewall. Due to various circumstances I haven’t used the van since June last year and the tyres were new in ‘09 having been purchased in Dumbarton after one of the original tyres disintegrated on the run up the M74. They were barely worn and have just succumbed to age I guess, as usually happens with caravans or indeed any vehicle that spends long periods laid up.

That’s interesting info with the speed rating. Did seem odd the k version isn’t sold elsewhere.

Can’t blame the cracks on standing unused as used each day. Is odd 2 of the tyres are free of damage.

reluctantly I’ll need to change my MTs for peace of mind. I’d better grab a set quick before the EU fun police ban them as well.

Ah well, time to use the mighty 80 in its favourite mud pit and vent off some steam!

Cheers,
Dave.

A scene in the film “The worlds Fastest Indian” has just come to mind where Bert Munro is using black boot polish on his tyre sidewalls to fill in the cracks and make them look newer. Not suggesting you try it on your Cruiser tyres though!

Had the same situation badly with caravan tyres. When I got my 95 I ended up changing 4 for peace of mind because of age but the front pair had bad cracking in the treads and were Hankook Dynapro ATM although they were not the oldest. The rest were odd brands & the spare was really old and well worn but protected from UV somewhat by the wheel cover. Only one was young enough for peace of mind which I have kept as the now spare. My wife works at a hospital & her car had problems with cracking in the tread from about 18 months or so whereas my then car with the same Hankook Ventus Prime 3 although different size tyres & less miles per year would show no signs of cracking at all and got full wear from them. It wasn't just a bad batch either as date codes were quite different as not all replaced the same time. Also the dealer we used sold huge quantities and the date codes showed they were recently made before fitting (within a few months). We put it down to the significant quantities of ozone around hospital sites (especially staff car parks round the back near where all the kit is). Some brands were better than others. Obviously other chemicals/gases could cause rubber degradation too.

Old thread i know, but i had to remove a full set of barely worn Cooper AT's from the 90 i had, outside and tread all fine, but as in the OP's pic cracks all the way round on the inside walls near the beads, missed them when i bought the motor, i suppose its possible the cracks had been on the outside and had been turned by the previous owner.
They didn't go to waste though, a workmate offroaded his Suzuki regularly so gave them to him for summer use.

Back