Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

UJ selection

Brett

Country Flag
uk
Hello chaps,

Been a while since I've posted on here, I've been distracted with new hobbies that have taken over the Land Cruiser fiddling :think: However, I do still have the Cruiser and still using and enjoying it.

I have a small (I hope) problem at the moment that I'd appreciate your help with, I've recently noticed a vibration that starts at approx. 30mph and then smooth's out with additional speed, the vibration is accompanied by a metallic rattling sound.

I though, aha, classic UJ symptoms, I've pulled the front prop and it's not really too bad, the front joint is fine, the rear has a very small tight spot, so I'll swap that one out, I haven't pulled the rear prop yet but driving the truck on just the rear prop with centre diff locked, I'm still getting the vibes and noise.

To cut to the chase, I've searched and read a few posts on Milner/Roughtrax UJ's, what's the general consensus, don't touch with a barge pole or ok (bearing in mind correct orientation of the grease nipple)?

Thanks!

I'd avoid the Milner ones unless you know exactly what they are that's going in the post to you. Have heard quite a few reports of very early failure. But have heard good things about the Roughtrax. Not sure of the cost but my money would actually be on genuine ones for a job like this.

The manual says to grease the UJ's every 4500 miles. Mine have done147,000 miles and are perfect.

The manual says only to use genuine Toyota parts.

Lots of people ignore both of these instructions and get trouble.

I wonder why :icon-biggrin:

I religiously gave my silver/grey 95 80 series a full service every 4500 miles all the 16 years I had it. As well as greasing the props every service I greased the front hubs ( as per the manual) by putting grease nipples in the square headed plugs. When I sold it at 150K it had not had a bearing or joint replaced, the swivels were dry and not a leak in sight.
Vehicles do not run well on neglect, and the most important tool in the workshop is indeed the grease gun.
Running commercial vehicles for a living I have not found the requirement to fit genuine parts imperative ( unless they are similarly priced) but the correct fitting and maintenance to be more so.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I think I'm going to take a chance and try the cheapo's :wtf: £10.00 each compared to £84.50 each. I haven't neglected servicing Frank, truck has done 225K know and these look like the original joints, I've had it over 8 years now and never changed a UJ.

When I rebuilt the front axle, I used all Genuine parts except the CV's (HDK) and the inner seals (Marlin) I definitely have more confidence in the genuine parts but these two have been ok.

When I used to own Landrovers, I always used pattern UJ's and they were always fine apart from my 90 which regularly knocked the UJ's out on the front prop, that was down to the pinion angles though, I ended up fitting a DC prop and never had to change another joint.

When I had LR's my UJJ's didn't last any time at all as I never bothered greasing them. In those days there was a limited pattern part supply and with UJ's the patterns were always Hardy Spicer so the same as the factory.

Going to any factory parts supplier was always useless. The parts were always either on back order, i.e. they did not exist or they were the wrong ones. Oh yes and you had to join a queue of angry people.

Sometimes Milners have genuine Toyota parts. Worth asking them. £84 WTF.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
what are the sizes for them? if you let me know could see if you can get hardy spicer ones so then you know you have a good name repair
Stu

Sometimes Milners have genuine Toyota parts. Worth asking them. £84 WTF.

That was including my Loyalty club discount!

I've ordered the Milners ones now, sizes are quoted as 76mm across (Front shaft) 93mm across (rear shaft) I don't know what that dimension is taken across, yoke or spider, with or without caps etc.???

whats the diameter of the caps please.

Will post diameters once I receive the delivery, be easier to measure accurately than installed ones.

You've surprised me there Brett. There's no bigger advocate on here for Milners than me - and even I said avoid the Milner ones. They last about as long as a 99 on a Summer day. They normally stock Toyo ones. Not Koyo - Toyo.

I'd have gone with Roughtrax I think.

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/universal-joint-uj-rear-prop.html

GKN quoted me 40 odd quid iirc.

Still went genuine in the end.

Last edited:
You've surprised me there Brett. There's no bigger advocate on here for Milners than me - and even I said avoid the Milner ones. They last about as long as a 99 on a Summer day. They normally stock Toyo ones. Not Koyo - Toyo.

I'd have gone with Roughtrax I think.

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/universal-joint-uj-rear-prop.html

I couldn't see any joints for the front shaft on the Roughtrax site Chris, I'll give the Milner's ones a shot, I don't do many miles in the Cruiser now as I have my midlife crisis car, so they'll probably last me longer than most!

Well that's a fair call Brett. And who knows, what turns up might just be spot on. The biggest issue with the old ones they used to stock was that the grease nipple was completely inaccessible. So people didn't grease them.

The Grease nipples on these ones are in different locations Chris, it looks like they may have revised them. The front shaft (small) UJ's now have the nipple in one of the bearing caps, I don't know how good that will be at getting grease to the other 3 caps? The rear shaft (large) UJ's have the nipple in the armpit of the spider, sticking out diagonally, that looks like it might be a job to get the grease gun onto.

Ive used Roughtrax UJs front and rear. GMB I think they were and they seemed as good as any UJs I've seen. Grease nipples were in usual place.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the front Toyota UJ part number I have 04371-35031 for the front spider kit but some sites are showing up 04371-60070 as suitable for use as well. If you do a reverse look-up in Toyodiy the 60070 shows up as one for a 100 series. Are they interchangeable?

iirc 04371-35031 is superseded by 04371-60070 and is what I buy for 80 front props, might be a 105 part, it isn't a 100 part.

Back