UJs

pugwash

Country Flag
uk
So,

Toyota want sill money for a UJ.

milner wan'ts a Tenner- which i reckon is too cheap for a quality product

any other options?

(its for the axle end of the front prop BTW)

Seems to give you the best price he can and will deliver so err yes.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I didn't have much luck with Milner UJ's on my 80 but that was years ago now and they could be sourcing better quality parts by now, or not. I might even still have some I couldn't even give them away :roll:

I bought some Milner ones a few weeks back, there were a Japanese bearing. Seemed good quality.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just put in an order to milners as found some other 100 stuff that was genuine ;)

Has anybody used the milners supplied UJ cross pieces before as just been quoted about £180 for a full set of genuine ones (from a good source ;) )

I seem to remember milners ones getting a bad write up recently, think it was Steve (black widow) on his 90.

My Milner ones are branded 'Toyo' and declare themselves to be 'Japan spec' which could so easily make you think they were made in Japan. I don't know where they were made but I'm guessing they'd say 'made in Japan' if they were. They might last longer on a mostly road going 80 but they never lasted long on my 80 but it was still cheaper to run through a few sets of those vs OEM.

As i need the reliability for overland/long distance i will stick with the genuine on these i think.

The milners price does bring the parts into the realm of getting some to keep for emergencies though.

oh yeah- local stealer wanted £78 for a UJ

They couldn't quite understand why i was laughing my head off- seriously £78 for a UJ?

so i'ave orderd a milner one for £11, even if they only last 6 months, that's still 4years to recoup costs, and i'm not sure my truck will last that long at the moment :D and htey only take an hour or two to replace with a vice and a hammer!

a bit like the gaskets i had to buy to replace the valvebody- £7 for a piece of A4 paper gasket (which isn't horrific as they are complex and need to be transported flat),

but it was the £8 for a single rubber penny sized o-ring washer that got me. And i needed 4! (thanks for the part numbers jon!)

I bought a set of genuine ones for my 100 spares box but when rummaging through it I noticed these old Milner 80 series ones, 3 big ones and 1 little one, no use to me.

I'll help you out Jon - fetch 'em to Lincomb & I'll take 'em... Make a bit of space in the garage ;-)

They are indeed Toyo, not Koyo and having fitted one, I would agree that they are fine for general use. I cannot comment on how much stick they'll take off road. But the issue with them is that the grease nipple is in a stupid place which make then usually impossible to grease on the truck.

OK so 2 x 14mm spanner later, you can drop the prop and wiggle it as well as grease it. But, IIRC Steve or some one came up with a very high quality replacement from someone else like Roughtrax.

Chris

Gav Peter said:
I'll help you out Jon - fetch 'em to Lincomb & I'll take 'em... Make a bit of space in the garage ;-)
Ok, you might have to remind me but they're yours.

I have got a couple of the toyo I carry as spares for emergency but still on the original ones! However I have lost one of the drive in grease nipples so if anyone has one lying around or can tell me where I can get one that would be great.

I don't mind changing the UJ but if I can just pop a nipple in then it's sorted ;)

I have some screw in grease nipples but not the press in or drive in ones :?

Hmm, not so easy I don't think. They never looked replaceable to me. I did wonder if you could just tap it and use a screw in one. I was never sure how the originals had been fixed. I figured they'd been sweated in.

Chris

They come out quite easily with mole grips so they must go in just as easy :roll: if yo can find the right one, will post up a pic. It's on my 70 series btw

I needed a very narrow nozzle on my 'gun to grease mine so turned it down in the lathe as much as I dared. All easy to grease now [every 4500 miles] and still no wear after 130,000 miles.

Frank

pic here!

file.php

Back