Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Unidentified metallic ring in front axle

Rob

Garage
What is this:
2011-08-06%2014.14.54.jpg

On the other side this part is pressed into the axle casing just past the inner axle oil seal. On this side it is loose. Weird thing is that I cant find it in the FSM or on Toyodiy so no idea how to get it back in place :think: Do I need to remove the diff and get at it form the other side :?

Not sure what it is, but has it even had a broken diff? As it could be part of an old diff. But it dose need removing, just incase it works it way back into the diff.

Paul

Never had a diff failure but I do not know the vehicles service history, only 2 stamps in the book. You can feel one on the other side just past the inner axle oil seal so its not part of the diff, but I suspect that it might need to be pressed on from the inside which may need diff removal unless I make some fancy puller. I just have no idea what it is as I would rather replace it rather than reuse it. Also no idea what it does :?

Found a pic of it:
attachment.php?attachmentid=56353&stc=1&d=1139356611.jpg

If is the metal ring in the pic above, any idea on what its for or how to replace it?

Ah crap, on MUD they call it an index ring and it seems that Toyota sell it with a new axle casing. It is used as a pivot point to get the halfshaft seated into the diff.

I have done some reading and there here are the solutions I have come up with:

1 swap the axle casing for another one £££
2 Pull it back in place with a slide hammer or bearing puller (will definitely fall out again)
3 Use metal epoxy to keep it in place (need to ensure surfaces are very clean, probably a diff out job)
4 Remove ring (either diff out or bend the ring so it comes out through the end of the axle) and drill a couple of tapped holes in the casing near the diff to guide the shaft into the diff (diff out job to clean the swarf)
5 machine up a new ring and press it in (diff out job and very difficult to measure the bore inside the axle where the ring sits accurately enough to machine a new part)

I have not seen anyone do or suggest 3 or 5 on MUD, and these are my 2 favourites. Anyone got any ideas and thoughts on the solutions above?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Removing it seems needed.
I know on Gregs it came loose and was removed as not really needed, makes a fiddle to get halfshafts in but still possible.

Trouble is that this is on the long side, if it was the short side I would not worry too much. Also I don't like the idea of pivoting the long shaft on the inner axle oil seal.

You dont have to, you can suspend some wire rope through the top swivel hole and pivot on that instead.

:think: Put the shaft and CV in before you put the top swivel bearing in? Ok so that is option 6, makes servicing the front axle a pain though...

Just an updating the thread. I went for option 2 in the end, I managed to get it back in with my fingers, I was very careful when putting the shaft in so I could use it to leaver the shaft into the diff. Managed to do it on the first attempt, no idea why I was putting this off for so long....

Back